Is anyone on here diabetic?

I'm having to go in to the clinic, next week, to get my blood sugar checked to make sure that I don't have diabetes. I've been experiencing problems with extreme thirst, hunger, exhaustion, as well as the "diabetic hyperpigmentation". I had my blood sugar checked, last year, and it was 124 after fasting. The doctor never said anything about it being so high. I'm assuming that she didn't realize that I had fasted and thought that it was a random sampling. I'm pretty worried, and would like to hear back from some ladies who have the condition under control, or any advice.

laurajo84

Asked by laurajo84 at 1:25 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Health

• If you are interested in the natural herbal approach to dealing with this let me know. Email your question with your inquiry please!
    GarlicMom

Answer by GarlicMom at 2:37 PM on May. 20, 2009

• My sister is a certified diabetes educator. She teaches doctors and patience how to manage their disease.
    Some great research came out last year; a low-fat vegan diet is healthier for diabetics than the tradional diet from the ADA. You can read about it here: http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20081001/vegan-diet-good-type-2-diabetes?src=RSS_PUBLIC
    The Dr. McDougall way of eating is a low fat, vegan diet. You can find his books at your local library; he has a free meal plan with recipes on his website: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html
    Good luck, and take very good care of yourself.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:13 PM on May. 20, 2009

• 124 as a fasting BS would put you above the "normal" level. Normal fasting BS is 80 to 105. Your doctor SHOULD have cautioned you that you are "pre-diabetic", meaning that you are headed for diabetes unless you take precautions. Since it's been a year you could very well be Type 2 diabetic.

I have had Type 2 diabetes for 9 years in addition to gestational diabetes for 4 out of 5 pregnancies. You CAN try to control it with diet. Since carbs are the enemy of a diabetic, you need to be on a controlled carb diet. That means high fiber (more than 10g dietary fiber) cereals for breakfast or eggs. Snacks can be sugar free jello, hard boiled eggs, celery ribs with cream cheese, cottage cheese...All meals should have a source of protein and veggies. Healthy carbs found in fresh fruits, sugar free yogurt and high fiber foods like cooked lentils and beans or high fiber cereals/grains can be added BUT KEEP TRACK OF THE CARBS YOU EAT.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:06 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I have had T1 diabetes for 12 years. I was 22 when I was diagnosed (that is rare in itself) first I was able to treat with pills and diet but that was my "honeymoon phase" when my pancreas still had a little function to it. After a year the pills did not work anymore and I went on insulin. My symptoms were frequent urination, extreme thirst and lots of yeast infections. I also had blurry vision (but thought I needed a stronger Rx) and had lost weight (it was gradual so no one really noticed!) Finally my Mom made me go to dr. and he tested it in the office and it was 524. Not high enough to go to hospital but obviously I was diagnosed that day. I took diabetes education classes (HIGHLY recommend!!) After my 1st baby my OB told me to go on a pump if I wanted more kids, so I did. I love it! Most drs. won't put you on a pump right away, until you are somewhat controlled, but it is the way to go!! GL.
    sassy34

Answer by sassy34 at 8:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2009