Why do some people think they know better than doctors?

Umm, they went to years of medical school which you didn't! A co-worker is trying to make me feel bad for having my 2 year old get ear tubes and her adenoids removed. No offense, but I'm going to listen to the professionals who do this for a living and how have inspected my childs ears and medical records. They held off on tubes for a year, but the ear infections aren't slowing down at all.

I understand some doctors aren't the best and that sometime you need to go to a specialist to get better help, but that doesn't mean the doctor is a quack b/c they couldn't help you when the specialist could. It just means they were trained in that area.

Ok, I'm done venting. Anyone else in a simialir spot?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on May. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• Nope. Doctors don't know everything and most of the time there are things, especially that deal with kids, that parents know way better.
    Anonymous

• If you had cancer or needed pain medicine or was rushed to the E.R. would you take advice from a stranger?? I trust my doctor, but I do ask alot of questions to be well informed and their is WEBMD on the internet. If you dont trust your doctor- find another that you can trust and talk to.
    Anonymous

• That's the problem, around here where I live, doctor's can't be trusted...unless you go about 3 hours south of here. The ones here constantly misdiagnose people, sew them up wrong, and can't even figure out what's wrong most of the time.
    Anonymous

• I switched pediatricians because the old one wouldn't help any further with my son having issues with constipation other than suggesting prune juice (which I tried many times over and didn't work). A lot of parent give advice. If some come across more pushy, just tell them thanks for the advice and you are going to look into some more.
    Good luck with your situation!
    shaklee_momma

Answer by shaklee_momma at 1:46 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Because most doctors are only interested in how much profit they're turning around.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 1:46 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Because some women think they KNOW everything and that they a God's gift to motherhood. I guess they would prefer that your baby suffer than to be treated. Don't listen to them. And of course a general practitioner is not going to know how to deal with something very specific as would a Specialist. That's what specialists are for and that's why G.P.s diagnose a problem or have a feeling and refer you to the specialist.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:46 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Because doctors are not gods, they do not know everything. I would never just trust what a doctor said just because they are a doctor.
    Anonymous

• Dr's do not always know best. It is our job as parents to get second opinions and do our own homework
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:48 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Doctors are not Gods, sure. But why do women think they know what is better for someone else's child?? They aren't trained medically. Why should anyone listen to another mother over a DOCTOR?
    Anonymous

• Because doctors PRACTICE medicine.
    beccimae

Answer by beccimae at 1:50 PM on May. 20, 2009