How do I kill knats?

It seems like I have tried everything. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Get a small jar - I have one with a red lid and they like that one better than the one with a blue lid for some reason) and drill a small hole in the top. Fill the jar half way with vinegar and screw the lid on. Set it on the counter or wherever you have gnats. They'll climb inside for the vinegar and not be able to get back out. Works like a charm.
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 5:52 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I buy the insect killer by Garden Safe. You can find it at Ace Hardware. You spray it onto the soil of your plants. Only problem is that it is toxic so you have to wash your hands if you get it on you and it may be safest to take the plant outside and then spray it so any little sprays don't get on your shelves or whatever. I don't care for using toxic chemicals like that in my home but it is the only thing I have found that really works. I've tried the vinegar and soapy water and all that. No you have to kill the babies in the soil. They look like little worms. It will also help let the soil in your plants try out every now and then. If you water a lot knats will be a problem. They need moist soil to lay the eggs in.
    Tickledtrauma

Answer by Tickledtrauma at 2:07 PM on May. 20, 2009

• If you are having trouble inside the home with knats and have a garbage disposal it is likely they are coming from there. Fill up that side of the sink with water and pour one cup bleach into it. Pull the plug on sink and turn on the disposal and let it suck all of that down. Also rub down your counter tops, facings of your outer doors and anything else they seem to like to land on in your home with Mint Oil,( they hate it). Hope this helps.
    Amber-Skye

Answer by Amber-Skye at 2:10 PM on May. 20, 2009

• If you have houseplants, the gnats might be nesting in the soil, so get some yellow sticky pads (available at most good nurseries or you can get them online) and put them in the pots. The gnats will stick to the pads and eventually you'll be rid of them.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:53 PM on May. 20, 2009