What exactly do you consider abusing the system w. (food stamps, W.I.C.)?

myfirstloves

Asked by myfirstloves at 2:26 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think getting the benefits when you really could make it without them. Using them because you qualify and it makes life easier. benefits aren't to make life easier they are to be sure you don't go without food. I see people with a nice car on food stamps...I drive a really old car and buy our own food. I live in a 2 bedroom house and don't use the A/C so I can afford sports for my dd. If you dont want to sacrifice for you children y should we? Thats abuse..when you don't do everyhing you can to take care of your own family.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:34 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I would say using the benefits and not doing anything to better yourself or your family. Like not taking a better job or raise for fear of losing benefits.
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 2:30 PM on May. 20, 2009

• when you lie to get free stuff or you really don't need it and get it anyway. i get formula through wic. i still live with my parents and they don't pay for baby stuff so it makes sense for me to get help with that but i refuse to get food stamps because we have plenty of food and we all help pay for it. there are people out there who are really desperate to have food and it would be silly for me to have food stamps. that being said, taxpayer money goes to pay for these programs...so anyone should really have the right to them
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 2:33 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Not reporting all income (maybe a 2nd job) or the fact that there's another working adult in the household.
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 2:35 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Employers filing false employees wages in order to obtain Medicaid. Employers this way are exempt of providing private medical insurance.
    Anonymous

• now im not sure but my friend at work drives a jaguar beautiful jewelry and clothes.i know she has children but is not married.i know she gets wic and some sort of assistance.so one day i asked her how did you get the jag..everyone just looked at me i said oh you not say anymore.(her boyfriend is a drug dealer)they dont get married cause she would loose some of her assistance.thats abusing the system.i see it all the time.i like the girl she is really nice.but i hope her boyfriend never gets caught.i also know alot of people who live up here and down in the dominican and have a business down there but collect assistance.the gov never knows.thats wrong.and its totally beyond me why so many get pregnant and dont get married.yes some young woman are responsible but some arent and i tell you most of the questions on her are about single moms..go to the cvs and buy a condom...
    Anonymous

• I consider abusing the system when you don't need it/lie to get it/use it to buy unneeded things/sell your foodstamps or fourmula you get off wic
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 3:02 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I think if it were possible they should drug test all recipients of welfare drug testing when they go every 6 months to re certify. I am telling you now, we would have half the people on welfare we do now.  Better yet make it random testing so they don't know when it is coming. 

Anonymous

• I think sometimes welfare makes it hard if not impossible to help themselves. I have a dear friend on food stamps and medicade. They recieve no money from the state. He works a blue colar job making 13 bucks an hour. They have 3 children. I am not sure what the amount of their monthly food stamps are. If she were to get a job, she would have to pay daycare, or put the kids in a state certified daycare...not good places a lot of the time. She would also have their food stamps cut in half if not more due to the income that is left over. The states go by gross not net. None of us live by gross. She would also be put on what they call transitional medicade which means they would bump them and the kids off in a year. So I can see why it is easier for some families to make sure they do not have two incomes, because they cut benefits, and the money they make is not enough.
    Anonymous

• Also, if they have a child who is of working age who wants a part time job while in the later yrs of school for gas or clothes etc, they add that income to the household, that is not income going to bills yet they still cut benefits because of it. So now the whole family is losing because DD or DS wants a part time job for some money of their own.
    Anonymous