I am getting beyond angry and upset here...

My daughter is 100% out of control. She just screams and cries and throws fits all day. I took her to the doctors this morning. She is not sick. And he refuses to test for autism at such a young age (almost 18 months). I cant deal with it any more. And absolutely nothing calms her down during these fits of rage. My neighbors have called the cops on my 4 times now because she is screaming loudly all day. I try redirection, time out, naps, food, drinks, cuddling...nothing. She just keeps screaming. I hate it. And truthfully, I hate her right now. I have never in my life seen a child act like this. Im mostly just venting but if you have any insight on what is going on, or any advice please share.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try taking her outside?
    Anonymous

• Outside is where the last fit started. So I had to bring her in so that the neighbors couldnt hear her. And that fit lasted for about 25 minutes after I brought her in.
    Anonymous

• She may be bored. Take her to the park, read to her, do something creative...

Here are some ideas:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/335339/how_to_entertain_your_18_month_old.html?cat=25

LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 2:39 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Try cutting food dyes out of her diet. especially red #40. Then start cutting other foods like high fructose corn syrup. really though, I can tell when my son has had food with coloring in it or not, he is like day and night.
    Anonymous

• Ok, deep breath. Some kids are hellions by nature. Have you tried changing her diet? No wheat, dairy etc.? If you are suspecting autism or ADHD, there have been studies done that show that these children have an intolerance to certain foods that cause behavioral flare ups. I worked in a daycare and saw a monumental improvement in an overactive, out of contol child in as little as two weeks. I would definitely look into changing her pediatrican if this continues and they won't refer you to a specialist or do tests. You should love your child and remember that she's not doing this on purpose. Toddlers don't know how to tell you something is wrong other than screaming. I hope this helps you gain peace of mind.
    irockhardkorps

Answer by irockhardkorps at 2:44 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I do things with her constantly. We play in the sandbox, play at the park, feed the ducks, walk by the river, go to the ice cream shop, color, read, watch movies, finger paint....all of these thing somehow end up in her throwing yet another fit. today when we took our morning walk she threw a fit because she wanted to walk in the street and I wouldnt let her, so then I put her back in her stroller, and that was a fit all the way home. I am basically giving up on her. Nothing is good enough for her. She has officialy gotten on my very last nerve.
    Anonymous

• Well, I noticed that you didn't list spanking as one of your attempts. Proper spanking (not hitting or abusive angry reactions) is the primary way we train our children until age 5ish.

Check out the book Shepherding a Child's Heart.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 2:52 PM on May. 20, 2009

• personally, I'd get a second opinion from another doctor. Children can be evaluated for autism as early as 18 months (not that that is necessarily her problem). Other than the fits, is she having any other developmental issues?
    Anonymous

• put her in water
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 3:12 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Hmm. Sounds like she's becoming a bit of a brat. Do you discipline her when she acts like this? Do you tell her no?

What kinds of foods are you feeding her? Try to avoid processed foods, High Fructose Corn Syrup, food dyes. Minimal to no juice. No sodas. No junk food. Journal her food and her behavior.

Does she nap?

I would really like to help you, but without being their in your home seeing what life is like it's hard to give advice.
    Anonymous