How can I calm myself down?

My seven month old daughter is teething right now. She is crying constantly, and i can barely get her to take a bottle. I keep thinking she is hungry, but she won't even suck on the nipple for a moment. I have a two year old son that demands my attention while I am holding her. So when I finally get them both down for a nap, like right now, I can't think of anything to do for myself that can actually calm my nerves down before the baby wakes up and starts crying again. How do I get my daughter to take in fluids and how do I relax instead of waiting on pins and needles for her next cry when she wakes up?

samanthaevans

Asked by samanthaevans at 2:54 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• maybe the sucking motion is hurting her! have you tried offering teething tablets?
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:56 PM on May. 20, 2009

• try teething tablets.

I remember feeling like on pins and needles witha newborn. I thought to myself.. even if he cries for an extra 10 minutes after nap, it's not going to kill him. My next issue is that my brain/ears are wired for any noise... how can I cut that down?

Here's what I did... I called my husband at work and told him to call me in an hour. In that time, I would lay down (baby was in bassinet in walk in closet) and I'd put on his ear protection from shooting. It drowned out the baby crying for me. But if the phone rings, I put it right next to my head and I could hear that.

At night, I would just tell my husband that if he hears the baby, wake me up.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 3:04 PM on May. 20, 2009

• My son is 8 1/2 and is teething big time. He'll eat solids but he'll really only eat his bottle first thing in the morning and after a nap. When he gets really fussy, I give him a cold wet washcloth. He'll suck on that for quite a while and it seems to soothe his teeth.

When both kids are sleeping, go lay down for a couple minutes and just take a few deep breaths and try to relax.
    Anonymous

• Totally! The cold wet rag thing is a great idea!! As for you Mama, have some hot tea, read a magazine or watch your shows, I know I do. Try not to anticipate the baby's cries until they actually happen. I know we all feel the need to always want to try to calm them down, but remember, sometimes they just need to cry, it's their way of communicating their frustration.. so when you've tried everything in the book to try and help them and nothing works... step away.. put the baby down and step away for a couple of minutes... then come back and try again... Good Luck!
    bun-n-ma-oven

Answer by bun-n-ma-oven at 3:13 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I would give her Tylenol and Motrin and teething drops or tablets to help with the pain. (also looking into getting an amber teething necklace)
    I would add extra fluids to her baby food if she isn't eating... and give her cold things to chew on.
    Try some frozen fruit like a banana in a mesh feeder. A cool wash cloth or teething ring.
    You might also want to have her ears looked at... maybe she has an ear infection.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:36 PM on May. 20, 2009

• The baby was asleep... can totally see how that read. And when you've got a screaming baby for 4 hours, and when the most minute sound wakes him and me up... 10 min of sleep just isn't enough.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 5:36 PM on May. 20, 2009