How do I get my 2 1/2 year old to listen?

He does not even acknowledge that I have said anything let alone stop the behavior. I am at my wits end.

favresfan

Asked by favresfan at 2:58 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Think you may have waited to long to tell him "NO".... Try timeouts.
    Anonymous

• Have you ever tried spanking?
    Anonymous

• Try to stay calm and make him stand in a corner where he can not touch anything. If he gets out put him back without saying anything.
    jenniferlee_12

Answer by jenniferlee_12 at 3:23 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I think almost every question in this age group could be answered with one word:

DISCIPLINE.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 3:34 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Not just DISCIPLINE fluud7....... CONSISTANT DISCIPLINE!

Tell him 'no', if he doesn't listen then say his name and a firm 'NO' in your mommy's serious voice (there HAS to be a difference between your normal voice and your serious voice or kids won't know when to distinguish between the two) then if he STILL doesn't listen you pick him up, look him in the eyes and say "I said NO" possibly explain WHY you're saying no 'it's dangerous, that's mommy's, it could break, etc' so he has an explanation as to why and it's not just mommy saying no all the time. If you put him back down and he STILL won't listen then stand his butt in the corner for a few minutes. Remind him while you're taking him there that you said no and he needs to listen. Make him stay there for the whole 'however' minutes. If he tries to walk away then tell him 'no, stand still until I say'. He'll get the hang of it. Consistancy is key, or he'll NEVER listen!
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 3:50 PM on May. 20, 2009

• fluud, discipline does not have to equal spanking. Based on your last few responses in this section, you seem to have the two confused.
    Anonymous

• Anon 6:42 : You're right. It doesn't HAVE to. But it's definitely the most effective way of disciplining small children, as long as it's done correctly.

You can't reason with a 2yo.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 7:18 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I don't reason with my 2 year old. I don't look for quick and easy when I discipline a toddler, either. I don't spank her. I have found time outs to be very effective for my child. I find them very effective. They take time, but it works for us.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:50 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Eye contact and firm nos work here. I have a set of two and half year olds.
    sweetpea532

Answer by sweetpea532 at 9:59 PM on May. 20, 2009