Paper Lanterns: Are they a fire Hazard?

My friend gave me a really nice paper lantern at my baby shower. I haven't hung it up yet in the nursery because I want to make sure it is safe. It uses a 40 watt bulb, it's a 3D star, really pretty, handmade in India. My question is, is it a fire hazard if it's used as a night light?

bun-n-ma-oven

Asked by bun-n-ma-oven at 3:03 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I am going to say to you try it out. Put it up somewhere else and light it up. My dh is a firefighter and says it can go either way.
    If the paper seems to warm/hot then I would not use it but for short intervels and while you are in the room with your baby.
    It sounds beautiful tho ... even if you decide not to light it you should put it up near a window and let the sun shine thru it...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 6:43 PM on May. 20, 2009