Best way to eliminate clutter?

UrGh! I've got so many things that I accumulated during winter. Plus a bunch of things that I take in from friends and family that I've made up reasons to keep it. What would be the best way to get rid of all this stuff taking up room in precious closet space, but still hang onto the things I acually need?? C'mon Mamas' give it to me... :)

bun-n-ma-oven

Asked by bun-n-ma-oven at 3:07 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Home & Garden

• suck it up. remind yourself it is for the better, and have a garage sale! my mom is the same way and she gets mad at me for having my stuff in her living room because it is cluttered.
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 3:12 PM on May. 20, 2009

• If you havent used it in a year or 2 toss it or sell it.
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 3:13 PM on May. 20, 2009

• when you look at it does it give you a felling of peace or feelings of overwhelmingness/stress about what to do with it. Do something with it now or throw it out. I looked in my drawers the other day and thought...what if I need it someday..but after stressing over it a few minutes I decided it wasnt worth the time or effort and I would put it in a bag and take it to goodwill. Someone will need it and be thrilled to have it. I keep a box in my garage all the time so if i have a shirt I think is nubby when folding clothes or I thought it fit wierd the last time I wore it then it goes straight in the box and I NEVER look in the box again. I bury my dd's toys in the bottom and if she doesn't ask for it by the time the box is full then it goes too.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:13 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Three boxes, one labeled KEEP one labeled TRASH and one labeled GIVE AWAY/SELL ... pick a small area to start with - on drawer, half a closet, one corner of a room, one random box that has "misc." written on it that you can't remember what is even in it.... something manageable that can be dealt with in one sitting.

Each object you pull out has to go in one of the boxes. Anything you would put in an I DON'T KNOW box ;-) goes in either trash or give away! **When in doubt: throw it out.** Freecycle has become my best friend, check it out in your area, because knowing that my junk was going somewhere it might be used and appreciated made it much easier to let go of it.

Good luck!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 3:21 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Oh! Get the book Clear Your Clutter With Feng Shui. It is simply an amazing little book (and it's more about clutter than feng shui, so if that's not your thing you can still get a lot from the book!) And Peter Walsh's Its All Too Much.

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 3:25 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Peter Walsh's book, "Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?" is a must read! I'm telling you, after you read it, you will want to clean out your house.

You've been given some good advice, but the hardest part is going to be making the committment to let go of things; If you can commit yourself to toss it, donate it, or sell it, then you're already ahead of the game.

Good luck!
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:49 PM on May. 20, 2009

• i'm obsessed with storage bins!
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 1:22 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Chuck it. Pick up something and don't second guess it.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 3:21 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Thanks so much all of you! I've just emptied a junk drawer and I feel better all ready! Next is the " I may need this someday" cabinet..
    bun-n-ma-oven

Answer by bun-n-ma-oven at 3:37 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Throw it all away.
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 5:50 PM on May. 28, 2009