Is this abusing the system?

I am a stay-at-home mom to my dd; she is three. My husband is a mechanic and does other jobs for the same employer. We report everything honestly on our applications for food stamps & w.i.c. We don't pay rent and our bills/household items/dd's dance/clothes are somewhere around $1087.00 a month and dh makes a total of $1360.00 a month. We try to buy our clothes from Goodwills and Walmart to save money. That's about 20.00 monthly, every other month for clothing and any accessories my dd needs. She is starting ballet/tap classes soo for social interaction-45.00 monthly. After everything that would leave us with about 70.00 a week/200.00 a month. I guess when I look at it now we could possibly get by without food stamps. I didn't factor in dh's cigs(I hate!). We could buy groceries with 200.00 a month, but then we would be left with no money incase something came up and we needed it. I guess we dont' need to do the dance class

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Just b/c other ppl are too proud to take the help doesnt mean that you shouldnt. Cause thats what I think of all the snappy ppl on here. They are too proud!
    Anonymous

• im a stay at home mom and my husband works. he makes 10.50 and hr with 40 hrs a week, our bills are about 900.00 a month or so. they denied us food stamps b.c he makes too much. but after my dd arrives in july they said we qualify again??
    Anonymous

• Excuse me?? You are buying dance clothes and dance classes... But you have no money and you are stay a home mom? Here's what you can do.. GET A JOB. You need to be working, get off food stamps and whatever else... Go out and work, help support the family that you have created. What you are doing is living off the system because you want to be a stay at home mom? I am sorry, but that is wrong on all levels.
    Anonymous

• Are all stay at home mom's living off food stamps? I find that appauling!!
    Anonymous

• I think you could watch a child in your home or do something to supplement his income. It is not supposed to give you the life you want...plus your hubby is smoking that is your dance money right there.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:21 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I have to work 2 jobs to support me and my kids- because at one job I made to much for assistence but it wasnt enough!
    I'm a single mother and you have a hubby that works and you stay at home!
    I have to work my butt off from no help from anyone and you get foodstamps?!?! I dont even have MEDICAL insurance!
    Im sorry, I dont like sounding rude- But it hurts my feelings when I work as hard as I do and you SHAMS ask questions like should I stay on food stamps or not!
    I pay daycare, food, rent, diapers, clothes, electric, phone, and insurance for my kids and I'm sre theres alot more things that I cant think of and your on FOOD STAMPS!
    you should be ashamed!
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 3:22 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I would say that you are abusing the system entirely. Staying at home should be a choice that a fmaily makes when they can afford to do it without assistance. That stuff is there for people working who can't get by or who are victims of unfortunate circumstances...not people who just decide they would rather use it than work so they can afford thing like dance classes.
    Anonymous

• You can afford cigarettes but not food?
    Anonymous

NO ANON I AM ASTAY AT HOME MOM AND WE USE NO GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE JUST BECAUSE A COUPLE THEY DO DOESNT MEAN WE ALL DO. MY HUSBAND WORKS HUS BUTT OFF FOR OUR FAMILY
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:25 PM on May. 20, 2009

• There are guidelines for a reason and if you are reporting things legally than why not get the help. What bothers me is the people that lie on their applications or the ones that don't even bother to get off their butts and try to work.
    jenniferlee_12

Answer by jenniferlee_12 at 3:28 PM on May. 20, 2009