Meditation while mothering?

I have four small kiddos, and being a mother is a whole different kind of spiritual path, IMO. I would like to know if any of you who do practice meditation, or prayer/devotions, how do you work this into your daily life - surrounded by noise and interrupted frequently?

I have been practicing using daily household tasks as a form of meditation for a while now (nothing teaches impermanence like dishes and laundry LOL) and allowing my children to be my gurus, grounding me in the present... I'd like to hear from other mamas as I feel it's time for me to add or refine some aspect of my daily practice.

Responses from all faiths are welcome, if you have wisdom or experience to offer!

(FWIW I am not intending to forgo beginning a practice of meditation in solitude - I realize that is important and is something I'm trying to work into my life.)

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 3:13 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I try to do the Reiki prayer in the mornings, and I talk to my deities all day...I have to. I work in retail...:) 'Loki, remind me to see the humor...' is a fair sampling. :) Also, when I meditate, I try to do it when the kids are already in bed and all the way asleep. Sometimes it works, sometimes one of them wakes up...but either way, at least there's a chance. We also do bedtime prayers, usually in front of the altar. It's a good opportunity to catch up the day and keep it even. Also, I'm basically a kitchen witch, so I let them come into the kitchen when I cook. We talk about the different things we put in food, and what properties those things have. My son thinks it's wrong to stir the cookie dough counterclockwise! Everything you do, put love into. Makes it all better, and helps those who partake. You can squeeze meditation and prayer into any act...it can be difficult, but its worth it. And keep letting them teach you!
    Kaialee

Answer by Kaialee at 10:48 AM on May. 21, 2009

• This is a hard one for me too!! I have NO time for quiet meditation except for very early (5-6 am) - and some days it's very hard for me to do THAT!!

As for housework, I find it so menial and horrible that i think I would focus too much on the negativity of the situation rather than positive thoughts.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:15 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I include my son in meditation. He's only 3yrs old but we sit in a dark room with a candle lit and close our eyes. I usually take a moment for myself and then do a little bit of guided meditation for my son. We enjoy it. Soon he'll be able to sit for longer periods of time. Of course, this is something that is a choice for him. I never make him do it with me.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:22 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Before I even get out of bed i say this. Lord I give all I do this day to you. My works, my joys, my sorrows, my acomplishments and failures. That way the whole day is a prayer. Then if I do get a little peace for quiet prayer it's a bonus.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 3:32 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Shower time, and after my girl's bed time are good alone moments.

But moving moments are good too, walking, biking, driving...etc.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 3:32 PM on May. 20, 2009

• yes, i do it early in the morning. Or after the kids go to bed. I will not allow myself to crack a bear until i get my daily meditation technique out of the way...lol! God first...then booz!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:47 PM on May. 20, 2009

• It is a hard thing to do! I have to admit as a SAHM mom of three my sitting meditation practice is not where I would like it to be. I try to make time after the kids go to bed, but there are so many things competing for that time that it doesn't always happen. I do try to practice mindfulness in what I do, even if it is not formal meditation. Basically I try not to let my mind wander, I try to really experience what I am doing while I am doing it, whether it is time with the kids, exercise, cleaning, etc. Kind of working Zen into my daily life, if that makes sense. Nonetheless I should take your idea and try a bit harder to work sitting meditation into my day again!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:21 PM on May. 20, 2009

• It is very important to me that I have my "mom" time.  It isn't too big an issue now that my kids are older.  I just tell them mom is listening to her Ipod, "don't bug me"!  When they were younger, my evenings were "my" time.  I was diligent in establishing a good bedtime routine with them so that once they were in bed, the rest of the evening was for me and my hubby.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:26 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I love meditation... sometimes it's something as simple as taking my anger out on the bathroom (I don't know why, but scrubing away at the bathroom top to bottom helps when I'm really angry, lol). But most of the time after my DD is asleep in bed, I hop into the bath tub, and do my solitary meditation there... very peaceful, and relaxing for me. Meditation has gotten me through a lot of very tough times, and I probably wouldn't be here if I hadn't learned more about it.
    But bath time after DD goes to bed is the best.. one dd is sleeping, so the house is quiet... then I put some bath salts or oils or both, into the bath water (hot, if it's cold out, cool if it's hot out, lol).. and relax.. the water helps sooth my muscles, and makes the cleansing of the mind and body more literal...
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:17 PM on May. 20, 2009

• All four of mine go to school. I use the hours I have avaliable and do it then. Either that or wait until they go to bed or their father is willing to take them. Actually I think having them around is good practice. Learn to tune out distraction.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:34 PM on May. 20, 2009