How old are your kids and do you put limits on TV time?

My sons are 4yrs and 3yrs. They dont get to watch much TV (maybe 3-4 times a week for maybe a half hour each time, sometimes more if they are watching a movie). When they do watch TV it's highly regulated. We dont watch anything that sells on violance (such as superhero shows, like spiderman ect) and other shows and movies are previewed before letting the children watch them.
What about you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on May. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• My ds is 4. He watches way more tv than I like but he watches educational tv. He watches little einsteins and mickey mouse club house. He has 1-2 hours of kindergarten level school a day at home. When his sister gets home from school they go outside and play (if it's not raining) We live in Washington so it does rain a lot. I personally don't think there is anything wrong with watching tv. As long as my kids are getting plenty of exercise, they are learning, and it's not crap tv I'm ok with it. My dd is 8 and watches maybe 3 hours of tv a week.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 4:02 PM on May. 20, 2009

• My child watches anything that I watch.. Not rated R movies though.. but he's allowed to watch all cartoons except south park or dirty adult ones.. He mainly watches spongebob, spiderman, and now is really into the George Lopez show. haha.. And he's 8.
    Anonymous

• aw. well, here's the main difference between you and i. I dont watch that much TV either. I dont even turn it on for myself until after my boys are in bed.
    Anonymous

• My son is almost 4 and he can watch a max of about 1.5 hours - that's one full dvd of his favorite shows. Most of the time, though, he watches about 30 minutes (less in the spring/summer when we're out playing more). We don't have cable, so everything's dvd/video and mommy-approved.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 3:31 PM on May. 20, 2009

• My kids are 8, 7, 6 and 3 and, no, I don't limit the TV nor do I censor much. They pretty much are allowed to watch whatever they want whenever they can get control of the TV. In the winter they watch a lot because there isn't much else to do. It is usually too cold to go outside. In the summer they might watch a couple hours in the morning before I get up but the rest of the day they are outside swimming and playing. Unless it is raining and then they just watch TV most of the day.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:00 PM on May. 20, 2009

• My son is 2 and watches quite a bit of tv, depending on the day. He likes Dora, spongebob, the grinch and other stuff. He gets a ton of outside time so I don't really care.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 4:40 PM on May. 20, 2009

• mine are 2 months,2, 5, 7, 8, and 10. They get maybe an hour a day and some days they don't watch it at all. We don't get channels, we have DVDs they can watch if they like.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 6:36 PM on May. 20, 2009