What food should my 11year old son avoid having ADHD?

Hello i am mother of two boys one of them was diagnosed with adhd 6 years ago. That would be my son Codi. I have never liked having him on the medicine he takes which is Daytrana 15mg. I am planning to get him started on a diet and have him take a natural supplement program from the health store called Attend,extress,memorin. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for diet, or ever heard or used these supplements before i waste my money. He seems so zoned and quiet when he is coming off the meds. Thank u , Jessica

lalajean

Asked by lalajean at 3:17 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Health

• My daughter has attention and impulse issues. What helped her tremendously was fish oil supplements (use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals). It takes several weeks for them to take effect; we have since switched to hemp oil, with equally good results.
    The Feingold Organization has great information on food additives and behavior www.feingold.org. What works best (and is healthiest for all of us, it to eat simple, whole foods, cooked from scratch. Don't buy anything with ingredients that your great-grandmother would not recognize or that you can't pronounce. The additives fed to animals can also affect behavior; so you may want to cut back, or eliminate meat and dairy.

Good luck, and feel free to ask me any questions.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:42 PM on May. 20, 2009

• You should also find a therapist who works with young people to help them learn to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in life. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this; you should be able to find his books at your local library. He has great information on his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/

Answer by rkoloms at 6:43 PM on May. 20, 2009

• My 13 yearold has ADHD and is on the Datrona patch 60mg. I doubt that only 15 mg is making him zone out. I have found that a high protein low sugar diet is effective. I don't give supplements because most are not approved by FDA and the claims tend to be false , they are just trying to make money. For example for breakfast he will have a turkey sandwich with lettuce , tomato on wheat bread and that will keep his brain focused much better then sugary cereal. Also no caffeine whatsoever, it can counteract with his meds.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 9:00 PM on May. 20, 2009