Roadtrip with little ones

In three weeks, we are taking a road trip from AR to upstate NY (about 1600 miles). We have a 4 yo, a 3 yo, and a 17 mo. We plan on driving about 8 hours a day for 3 days to make it there (and then repeating about a week later).

Anyone have any tips to help me keep my sanity? Other than stay home =D

Silvertears1275

Asked by Silvertears1275 at 3:18 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Travel

• Yes. Be prepared to make it 4 days instead of 3 lol! Just be prepared for that. We drove from Texas to Washington State (3300 miles) in 6 days with 3 kids ages 16 months, 5 years and 7 years. Plan the route around things you and the kids will enjoy doing. Find the shortest, fastest route to where you are going, then look at larger cities every 300-400 miles and plan a 30 minute stop. Always get out to eat (Don't drive through fast food in the car) and find somewhere that the kids can play (Mcdonalds or whatever). That gives them a chance to stretch. Bring along age appropriate toys and books for them. In fact, if you go and buy them each 3-4 small new toys (a Crayola color wonder book, a puzzle, a baby doll, whatever), then give them each a new toy half way through the day when they are getting fussy it really helps too. We have made the drive from TX-WA (and back) twice, and those tips really work!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:40 PM on May. 20, 2009

• You are very brave!!! I don't know if I'd travel that far with my 8 year old, let alone kids that young!! LOL
    Anonymous

• We have a dual DVD player in our Excursion, I highly recommend for long car trips, LOVE, LOVE it!

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 7:45 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Drive at night.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on May. 21, 2009

• look up and print off different car games. We had a map from online so everytime you see a license plate with a different state you color the state in. We always play "I want' where you name something you want..purple semi, or 4 cows or a KFC...then whoever finds it first gets to pick the nxt thing. Lots of game ideas online. Even travel bingo where you mark off stuff like pigs, fast food resturant..until you get a bingo.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:40 AM on May. 21, 2009

• lots of pit stops... try to plan stops along the way with activities and bathrooms.. so the kids can stretch, have some fun
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:26 PM on May. 21, 2009