What is wrong with this picture?

Women not working, staying at home with the children, while receiving food stamps? This is wrong. Do you agree? I would stay that if you need to receive food stamps and you are a healthy adult, you need to be working. I can understand receiving food stamps if you both work and do not make enough... but staying at home because you don't want to get a job????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I completely agree. The daycare excuse is BS...I work about 30 hours a week for minimum wage, DH works 40 hours a week and we do not ever need daycare. I go to work when he gets home and there is always one of us home to watch our son.
    Is my job exactly what I want it to be? no. Would I rather stay at home with my son? Definately.
    But that is not an option for me because I am proud of us for being creative and living on less so that my son has everything and more he needs.
    BTW: We qualify for WIC and are probably really close to qualifying for food stamps but we dont use it.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 3:30 PM on May. 20, 2009

• i can see your point but in some instances even a healthy woman cant work because of special needs children. i do not recieve food stamps but i cant get a job due to the needs of my son. he has speech therapy 2 times a week and is about to start recieving physical and occupational therapy. he also has specialists appointments often. i would love to work because who wouldnt like extra money coming in, but with everything going on right now, it would be impossible. :)
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 3:25 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Not when all the money you will earn at your job just goes to pay daycare. I'm not gonna go to work and support a daycare provider just to make a point of working, not only will all your money go to pay for daycare, but then on top of that, you lose your food stamps. So, in that case, you're no further ahead. Too many kids are dumped in the daycare system as it is. I'm gonna be with my kids and raise them, not pay some stranger to do what I should be doing, just to earn a few extra bucks. I value my kids more than that.

Anonymous

• If she can't afford food how can she afford daycare so she can go to work? Or so that she can even go look for work?

This is a HUGE problem in North American Society.

Yet when we start mentioning government run daycares the people who are working scream 'I don't want to pay for that' with out thinking that instead the alternative is paying for that person to not work at all.
    TabathaM

Answer by TabathaM at 3:26 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Hell yeah anon!
    Anonymous

• Ok but look at it this way. Even if they get a job chances are they will still qualify for benefits AND the govt wiill be paying for their daycare too. So instead of the tax payers paying for their groceries we're also paying for their daycare. Sad but true. Those moms are better off raising their own kids. As a tax payer I'd much rather pay $300 a month in food stamps and wic than $1400 a month in daycare-AND $300+ a month in food stamps. Make sense?
    Anonymous

• I have to agree, if you are well and able to work and are only home because you chose to stay with your kids, but can only afford to if you get food stamps, etc, that's wrong. There is state pd childcare, etc, there's no reason not to work if you qualify for food stamps then you will qualify for state pd childcare. My sister gets help but she works her butt off 40 hour/week and is raising 2 kids on her own, no child support etc. So to me she deserves the help. But just because you want to be a SAHM, then no, I don't agree with that.
    It is hard to find work right now but please stop having kids you can't raise on your own. Sorry JMO, and I'm not posting anon, I have a right to my opinion as much as you have a right to stay home and live off of our taxes...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:29 PM on May. 20, 2009

• not all SAHMs get foodstamps god
    how about i say all anons are lazy welfare recivers?
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:30 PM on May. 20, 2009

• How pleasant your world must be, if every child is suddenly born "capable" of being cared for in daycare. Or, even, if every adult capable of working magically finds a job! Wow, I'd like to move there.
    rainbowlight

Answer by rainbowlight at 3:31 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Who cares. get over it.
    Anonymous