Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone suffer from Vulvodynia or Vulvar Vestibulitis??

Just curious if anyone else suffers from this condition. I was just diagnosed recently after being misdiagnosed for sometime now. I used to LOVE sex (before it started hurting) and now I dread and fear it.
Although there are times that I do want it but knowing it is going to hurt just stops me and I don't let my husband know I want it. I do use Lidocaine to numb the area but sometimes doing that makes make sex seem so un natural that it can never be spontaneous.
Anyone else?

Answer Question

Asked by BSFreeMama at 3:24 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Well, you know what, straight people seem to think the only kind of 'sex' is penis in vagina intercourse. This isn't the case. When you have issues with these things (and hell even if you don't), it's important to realize that /sex/ is really anything that gets both of you off. So find things you can do spontaniously that don't hurt as much that please you, that you can do that please him.

    Experiment with your body. It'll be fun and improve your sex life.

    Answer by TabathaM at 3:30 PM on May. 20, 2009

  • i totally agree with tabathat find different ways to have sex theres all kinds of ways

    Answer by 4grlshelp at 3:51 PM on May. 20, 2009

  • There are Vulvar specialist that can help you with this kind of problem. I work with one but we are in Texas.

    Answer by VERONICACP at 5:35 PM on May. 20, 2009

  • There are not only doctors that can help you with this, there are physical therapists as well. This does include some invasive massage so you must be really motivate. Bio feedback has been shown to work wonders with this condition. Your pelvic floor nerve endings are on fire. They are receiving messages of pain from the whole body. Please see a doctor and ask him what more can you do. Lidocaine is not the answer.

    Answer by lilangilyn at 6:32 PM on May. 20, 2009

  • I've had vulvodynia since my cesarean five years ago and just got diagnosed with it last year. It's very painful and uncomfortable and can make you feel so bad about yourself. There is a book on vulvodynia by a woman named Elizabeth Stewart who happens to be one of the doctors at the vulvodynia clinic in Burlington, MA that really helps. I think the worse thing about this is that a lot of gynecologist either don't know how to deal with this or don't believe this actually works. I went to 27 doctors before I was lucky enough to go to the clinic in burlington.
    Lidocaine did not help me at all. The lidocaine itself burned me and made it worse. My doctor prescribed nortriptyline and physical therapy really helped a lot. All the massages and excercises you can do at home. Tell your doctor about it and if they seem worthles find one who is.

    Answer by superanything at 1:09 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.