My baby is very constipated. What to do?

My baby is 2mths old and very constipated! Shes going on 5days. I've tried apple juice, kayro, prune juice, and gave her 2 suppositories! She's been on Oatmeal ceral since she was 2 weeks old! Anybody have any ideas??

calliesmama09

Asked by calliesmama09 at 3:30 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• maybe a little applesauce
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 3:31 PM on May. 20, 2009

• If you have tried all of those things it might be time to enlist the help of your pediatrician. After 3 days our Dr becomes concerned. Best wishes. You have tried all the tricks I know of, so your dr might need to offer some help.
    snowbaby99brk

Answer by snowbaby99brk at 3:44 PM on May. 20, 2009

• 2 wk old babies should not be getting cereal, let alone a 2 month old. their tummies cannot handle it. i wouldnt be surprised if the cereal messed something up. 5 days is a long time, call your doc.
    Anonymous

• deffinatly call your doc... but also keep up with the kyro syrup.. our pedi says add 1 oz syrup to a 3 oz bottle< 4 oz total> and do that every 8-12 hours.... also make sure the supositories are staying in.. we had to hold them in when our ds was constipated... hold them in until they almost sedolve fully then put the diaper on...

good luck
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 4:03 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Is she breast or bottle fed? A breastfed baby doesn't need to go that often, they can go for more than a week without a problem. If she is formula fed, then yes, she needs to poop.
    I would try 1 oz Pear juice in 1 oz water. Then if she hasn't gone I would try some rectal stimulation where you lube up your pinky and insert gently into her bottom and hopefully she will go.
    As far as the other suggestions, applesauce will make constipation worse, I would stop with the cereal... if she isn't getting it for reflux she shouldn't have it... and even if she is it might be making her constipation worse. I wouldn't give anymore Karo syrup... it can cause botulism just like Honey can.

If still no poop, call your pediatrician.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:30 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Breast, or formula? Stop the cereal, see if that makes a difference. Karo is NOT recommended for infants, for the same reason that honey is not. If she's breastfed, (EBF babies can go up to 10 days) it might be ok, but I can't say for sure, because she's not EBF if she takes cereal. Honestly, the cereal is likely fortified with iron and could be the culprit.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:33 PM on May. 20, 2009

• My dr says to call him after 3 days. mine's 4 mos old and my dr says not to give him more than 1/2 of a suppository.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 4:48 PM on May. 20, 2009

• My daug. started ceral at 5 days old. At 2 mon. started getting constipated. I too tried everything. The only thing that worked for her was to fill a 8oz bottle with water add 1.5TBL BROWN SUGAR. Then I gave it to her through out the day 2oz. at a time. It worked for me!
    soccermom1129

Answer by soccermom1129 at 6:19 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Our son's pediatrician told us to give him half a cap of Miralax in a bottle of juice (half juice/half water) everyday. It worked.
    nickat

Answer by nickat at 11:35 PM on May. 20, 2009

• thanks for all the answers! but she finally pooped last night after giving her "adult" prune juice instead of gerber!
    calliesmama09

Answer by calliesmama09 at 10:56 AM on May. 21, 2009