Funny or wrong? (for pagans)

When i was a smartass teenager in highschool i had a pentacle around my neck that i wore very proudly (i still practice, but i have a much greater understanding of it now, but am always learning of course). I was standing in the lunch line when this nerdy kid with red hair and glasses taps me on the shoulder. I turn around and he looks at my necklace and back up at me. "Do you worship Satan?" he asks. I smiled and looked at him and said "No. I am Satan". He looked a little startled but didnt ask any more questions.
Now have not ever believe in satan. I was irritated by the ignorance of his question. I look back at this moment and have mixed feelings. At first i laugh and think it's funny. And then i get a little irritated with myself for contributing to his ignorance. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Personally, I think it's hilarious!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 4:51 PM on May. 20, 2009

• As much as any belief is a person decision, each person's decision must be respected, even Christianity. I believe that your response was intrusive on his belief.

Respectfully,
    A non-believer
    Anonymous

• Anon. Please explain. How was it intrusive? Was his question not intrusive on my beliefs?
    Anonymous

• I think it sounds like a pretty typically high school response to me, especially if . I wouldn't worry about it. Sure, there were probably better, more enlightened responses... but at 16 or 17 people are notoriously not enlightened. You could pass this anecdote on to your children, if they are practicing Wicca or other Pagan religion, and let them know you wish you had said something more like __________, or what you wish your attitude had been... that way if/when they are in a similar situation, they have a larger pool of possible responses to draw from, and the benefit of learning from your experiences.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 3:51 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Sorry for the weird "especially if" stuck in there randomly... teething 16 month old having a meltdown here...
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 3:53 PM on May. 20, 2009

• As a witch, and a former teen witch - named Sabrina - I understand 100%. I did and said those things as well... I remember promising to curse people if they didn't leave me alone when I was in middle school. It was immature and shouldn't have been done. But, it's over. I see no reason to put energy in to it now. Hopefully those people now know the truth. I do think it's kinda funny but agree that you (and I) just added to the ignorance we are all working so hard to aleviate...

Just don't think about it if it bugs you. You were kids, and even had you told him the truth, that there is no devil... He wouldn't have believed you anyways and would have asked if you wanted to kill his cat... That's just how teens are. They know all... lol!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:53 PM on May. 20, 2009

• OP... you were a teen and as you put it yourself a *smart-ass* teen.
    I don't think you said anything differently than anyone else may have at that age ... (not saying that all teens then and now are smart-asses) but as I was growing up there were many rebelous - smart-assy kids all over and we all had mouths on us...
    As for the other kid being ingorant, his asking you maybe could be taken 2 ways... he himself was being a smart-ass too or he was asking out of pure curiousity... either way you can not change what you said or did as a teen and it also shows that then as it is now, people still focus on what THEY percieve to items of Satan
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 3:56 PM on May. 20, 2009

• my post is called the no sleep typing... sorry for the mis-typing errors...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 3:58 PM on May. 20, 2009

• In my experience, high school, specifically the high school lunchroom, wasn't exactly a bastion of philosophical debate. I doubt, unless he was very naive, the boy was expecting a serious answer. In that way he got what he asked for. If he really was one of those sheltered kids who thought a question like that would get a serious answer, you didn't do any more damage than was already done by his upbringing.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:58 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Some days I would do the same thing LOL. Some days I try to explain their misconception to them. Depends on how I feel that day and their attitude when they comment. Some people will just NEVER believe you no matter how in depth you get with your description of your beliefs, so a comment like that doesn't hurt anything and at least gives you a laugh :)
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 5:11 PM on May. 20, 2009