Drinking..........

I am 9 ish weeks pregnant and b4 i knew i was prego i was going out 1 to 2 times
a week with my fiance and drinking and having fun (just beer though) and since i found out that i am pregnant again ( i already have a 2 year old) i am REALLY missing it, i had never had a b4 that actually was fun and wanted to go out with me and have a good time, well my question is is it ok to drink once in awhile,ive heard a glass of wine is ok but im thinking more along the lines of a beer once in awhile? im going to the doc today and i will ask but i want to know what you guys think? how many of you drank a little while prego?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I didn't drink, smoke, or do anything that could harm my baby while preggers... of course, caffeine was something i couldn't cut out completely and when my second pregnancy rolled around i drank it freely because I didn't want to have crazy headaches... other than that nothing that was considered a drug entered my body unless it was doctor prescribed or tylenol on a rare occasion. It isn't safe to drink while pregnant, it can affect the fetus's development and cause psychological problems later in life for the child. However, a small amount of wine has been known to be okay'd by specific doctors... my sister had to drink a small glass of wine towards the end of her pregnancy once a week in order for her not to go into pre-term labor. It helped relieve her anxiety without having to take any drugs that could have done more harm to the baby.
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 3:50 PM on May. 20, 2009

• i can done tell you what the dr will tell you and that would be no cause it can cause birth defects its jus not somethin you want to play around with and you can go out and have fun with out drinkin it is possible
    sam0816

Answer by sam0816 at 3:50 PM on May. 20, 2009

• you'll be fine if you drink one beer.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:51 PM on May. 20, 2009

• What you really should do is focus on making sure you are as healthy as possible and keeping the love alive with your boyfriend by going out and doing things together but not drinking. You should order a non-alcoholic beverage, they have awesome virgin daqueries and frozen drinks that are amazing most places. If you like to dance continue until you are too large to.. but be wary of smoke filled clubs... not only is the smoke bad for you and baby, you never know what drunk idiot will randomly fall into your stomach and cause you to fall and miscarry...
    Talk to your boyfriend about the changes that are coming and how you feel, I bet he'll be more than willing to make you feel loved and spend time with you. The movies are a good place when pregnant!
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 3:53 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I drank a whole bottle of wine before I found out I was pregnant-
    however when I found out at 4 weeks I stopped that shit right away, some doctors will tell you a glass of wine or a beer once a week is ok because APPERENTLY it helps blood flow to the placenta what I say to that idea
    "what ever helps you sleep at night"
    I try not to judge because I've known people that drank through there pregnancy, but come on, even one drink can harm your baby-time to grow up and do whats best for your child and not whats best for you or your boyfriend.
    I'm a bar tender and if a pregnant chick came into my bar, I would give her a dirty look and refuse to serve her, she wants to play pool and drink a coke whatever but if I saw her drinking even one sip in my bar I would throw her pregnant ass out-
    so I guess I do judge and I am a hater about that stuff-
    sorry.
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 3:53 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I was a beer drinker also and it was hard to give up when everyone around you is drinking. I had one glass of wine a while back(I'm 23 weeks now) and it made me sick (baby didn't like it lol) so I don't touch any alcohol but I have heard people say a glass of wine or a beer on occasion is ok although you don't want to escalate(if you have one you may want more) If you do decide to do it I would wait till your at least 4 months pregnant if not longer. Your in the stage that this is the most important time for your baby to develop. Good luck. I hope you can hold off. It'll go by fast!
    jasey929

Answer by jasey929 at 4:04 PM on May. 20, 2009

• The VERY small studies that have shown that a glass of wine of every once in a while is fine are ONLY for the 3rd trimester!!!

The first trimester is the MOST IMPORTANT time for development. Between 3-8 weeks is when organgenosis (sp) occurs meaning that ALL of your babies major organs develop into their most basic form during that time.

The first trimester is also when birth defects occur. The rest of the pregnancy is spent growing and developing the basis that the first trimester set up.

It's best to avoid alcohol during pregnancy and if you do choose to have alcohol than wait until the 3rd trimester and only have 1 4 ounce serving every once in a while.

Plenty of people will tell you that they drank and their child turned out fine but the truth is that they

a) won't be able to see any developmental delays for years
    b) do not have their alcohol free child to compaire their alcohol child to
    Anonymous

• I also want to add that I understand the craving for alcohol but I refuse to drink it during pregnancy because there just isn't enough research on it that shows positive outcomes and there is plenty that shows negetive outcomes.

I'm not a drinker usually but for some reason I crave it during pregnancy. I guess because I know I can't have it.

SO I sometimes have a virgin mixed drink. It helps with the craving and I can still enjoy time out with my friends and DH without putting my baby at risk.

You can still go out with your SO. You just need to avoid the alcohol.

Plus I look at it like this...If a 4 ounce glass of wine is going to relax me than what is it doing to my baby who is like a 12th of my size??? Just some food for thought...
    Anonymous

• i woudlnt risk it .. what if yoou drank beer and then something was wrong with your baby ...
    Anonymous

• A friend of mine had a beer every day because she wasnt able to eat when she was pregnant and they had her do that for the carbs in it. And her son in old and healthy now. =) But if your doctor advises you not to then i wouldnt. I have a glass of wine every now and then but i dont see where a beer every now and then insted of wine would hurt.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 4:28 PM on May. 20, 2009