How do I ensure fertile eggs with my budgies?

I have a male and female bonded pair of budgies. I want fertile eggs from them. And before anyone starts with the, "You don't HAVE to breed them!" or "Laying can be hard on the hen!", just know this: SHE IS ALREADY LAYING EGGS.

She has laid four clutches of eggs so far. All have been unfertilized. I let her stay on them until they all should've hatched, then I would take away the nest box, leave it off for a month, then try again. This last time, SHE decided she didn't want to wait for a month and laid an egg in their grit bowl. I put the box back on and now I'm letting her do her thing.

I know they TRY to have sex, but I think my male is just to dumb to have sex properly to fertilize the eggs because he never seems to get his tail tucked under hers- he's too busy trying to kiss her!

Is there any way to change these habits so that she will actually end up with fertile eggs?

kittyhasclaws

Asked by kittyhasclaws at 4:12 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Pets

• No answers yet