Sippy cup

When should I start my DD on a sippy cup? I don't want her at a year old drinking from a bottle (personal choice). She's only 6 months now, and I think it's a little early, but just needing a ball park

Chloesmom1126

Asked by Chloesmom1126 at 4:16 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Both my kids were off the bottle at 11mths cause thats what the doctor told me. They say u can try a sippy cup before that even when there still on the bottle. I also did formula and milk to wein them off of formula. Like more formula than regular milk then slowly to half and half of both. Then less of formula
    Anonymous

• my son started a sippy cup about that age .. he was off bottles by the time he was 1 lol his choice . he threw them away lol
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:19 PM on May. 20, 2009

• both my girls were off the bottle by 10mos u can go ahead an introduce the sippy cup 2 her now it might take her a while 2 get use to it. u can give her juice in the sippy cup thats what i always did since they say not to put juice in their bottle. good luck
    kimmie123

Answer by kimmie123 at 4:24 PM on May. 20, 2009

• My LO is six months old and I started giving him his sippy cup this week. He play with it more than drink from it. I'm just going to ease him into it from now on. Bottle is still number one
    Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 4:25 PM on May. 20, 2009

• My son was off the bottle and on sippies at 9 months. You can start playing with them and seeing if she will use one now. It won't hurt anything. Good luck!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 4:30 PM on May. 20, 2009

• My son was on a soft top sippy at 3 months. He wouldnt take a bottle. Gerber NUK makes a good sippy with handles to start with. And its spill proof! Start giving it to them with something they are familiar with (breastmilk or formula) Its going to take some time for them to play with it and see how it works. One day you will look down and they will be drinking on their own!
    JennO2

Answer by JennO2 at 8:50 PM on May. 20, 2009

• My son is 6 months, and he has been on a sippy for about a month now. We started with spout ones, but he just sucked on them, and wouldnt turn them up. So we tried one with the straw in it and he loved it. He has it down pat now, grabs it, pulls it to him, and drinks away. He only gets juice in it now, and only usually at dinner and lunch. I'm not sure when I'm gonna start putting formula in it, probably not for a few months. But I also want him off the bottle by a year.
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 11:48 AM on May. 21, 2009