• In the Spotlight:

SAHM's I really want to know...

HOW do some of you keep your houses so clean, like almost spotless, yet spend little time actually cleaning? What's your secret? I'm a SAHM of 3 kids (12, 10, and 4) and though I clean 3-4 hours a day my house seems to stay cluttered and the little things don't get done often (like I don't have the time to wash all the walls and scrub the baseboards and all that or I would be cleaning 10-12 hours a day lol. How do you guys do it? I need the secret lol!

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 4:30 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My secret is, we don't keep anything in our house that we don't HAVE TO HAVE!! We keep only the necessities. I would suggest maybe having a big yard sale and selling stuff you don't use or have to have. also, I do my dishes twice a day(i don't have a dishwasher). Once after breakfast and once after dinner. also after breakfast is when I sweep and mop and wipe down appliances. It takes me no longer than 30 minutes. The living stays clean except for kids toys. they get picked up before the kids take a nap and they have to help pick them up. Every time we leave the house, the toys have to be picked up. Beds get made up each time someone gets out of them. My 3 year old knows how to do it. I don't worry with the crib. My bathroom gets a wipe down every morning as well. I get up one hour before the kids do in the morning, go to the bathroom and clean then start a load of laundry. I usually stay busy throughout the day.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 4:35 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Oh, btw the other times during the day that I am not cleanign I am running errands, playing with my daughter, or going to the YMCA. I give myself 2 hours throughout the day of not working, like during breakfast and lunch and for 30 minutes or so during my daughter's nap where I can have some peace.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:32 PM on May. 20, 2009

• lol.. i just keep up after everything ...
    meses clutter all that drive me nuts .. seriously lol
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:32 PM on May. 20, 2009

• You know I know exactly what you are saying it seems like we do so much but nothing to show for. The only thing that I came up with (so that we won't go crazy) is to do the best that you can and do what you can we are not superwomen. So continue to do what you are doing and relax once in awhile take some "ME" time once in awhile to gather your bearings once in awhile.

When you have no kids you can keep on top of stuff but with kids it is impossible. Maybe you get them to start helping give them a wet rag and you spray where you want wiped and go from there before you know it you will have that spotless home you've been wanting...lol GL That is what I am doing now I just can't seem to get rid of the clutter I try though. I am too lazy to put things in it's place but I will get a wild hair and do it soon. Now would be nice :)

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:40 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Put those youngins to work girl! It is free labor lol! JK, but I do make mine do chores and extra's on the weekends. Many hands make light work.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 4:40 PM on May. 20, 2009

• also try to run errands only once a week if possible. it will save on gas as well. set one day out of the week like Thursday, to do errands. I as well take a peaceful break during my kids naps. My kids are 3 and 18 months. My son keeps his room clean and there is never a mess in my daughters room. My room, well I only sleep in my room so there is never a mess. My husband is a very neat freak person he never leaves clothes laying around or anything. Just pace yourself. The harder you work to clean your house, the quicker you are going to get tired and not feel like doing anything else.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 4:47 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I have a strict schedule at my house. Before anyone freaks out, it is quite flexible in a way. My children take consistent one hour naps. They don't fall at the same time. But I have a written list of what will happen during that time and how long it will take. We eat all our meals and snacks at the same time (nursing babies excluded, and of course toddlers sometimes need more, no biggie). Because my kids know what is going to happen and when, they are less likely to dump the toy bins two minutes before we leave the house. Also, my two year old picks up her toys. How do I get her to do that? I spend time, that I have purposely set aside, practicing cleaning up with her. Now, I tell her to clean up her legos and she does. With kids as old as yours, they NEED to be helping out around the house, whether you are at home or not. cont.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 4:48 PM on May. 20, 2009

• cont. They live in the house, and they need to take care of the house. They need chores, age appropriate chores, that help you. They help them even more than they help you, because it teaches your children to do work, and to take care of the house they live in. It teaches them respect. They don't need to scrub toilets or have a white glove test, but a four year old can gather her toys into a bin, set a table, run a dust cloth, or a lot of other things (not at the same time, these are examples of tasks). Most younger kids even enjoy helping mom.

So that's how we handle things. I get my 2 year old involved, and we clean as we go.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 4:50 PM on May. 20, 2009

• My boys have chores. They are 12 and 10. Every day before bed they pick up their bedroom and take their laundry to the wash. They fold their own clothes and put them away. They empty the dish drainer (dishwasher doesn't work lol). My daughter who is 4 is also "folding" and putting away her clothes, and she helps with little things when Im cooking, like she can mix stuff and put things in the sink for me. They do chores, its just like it continually piles up. Once a year I do a thorough clean like washing walls and baseboards and cleaning out clutter. A yard sale is on my horizon very very soon lol!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:55 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I'm not a SAHM (instead i'm a fulltime student with a cluttered home) but i would say maybe giving your 12 and 10 yr old a list of things to help you with. I'd make goals each day including the normal things like dishes and laundry but then make a goal to wash the walls in this room. You can even have your 4 yr old do some simple tasks like picking up the toys (my 2yr old loves to vacuum and even clean the toliet). Making a schedule of your day, you'll be able to see how much time you are doing what, and when you can be able to squeeze in those chores that you keep by passing. I hope this helps :)
    princessj05

Answer by princessj05 at 5:02 PM on May. 20, 2009