Do I explain the family ties or do I wait until he is older?

I have a cousin that has a son the same age as my son and a daughter one year younger. She ran off and left her children with their dad. Their dad joined the Army and they are now raised by his parents. Well, since my son has never met his cousin, he didn't ever know about him. This year however, they happen to be on the same baseball team. So, do I tell him this is his cousin. The real clencher? The younger sister is in his summer fun course.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on May. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• It depends on if you think these children can be a positive influence in your sons life. Honestly they are right now just another kid, as the above poster said. But its not blood that differentiates that its the relationships we form.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 5:04 PM on May. 20, 2009

• So the children's parents are your cousins? Which would make there children, like second cousins? If that is correct, I wouldn't bother. They are not close enough in relation to make a big deal about it.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 4:47 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I'm big on family. Even if it's first, second or third cousins. You don't have to explain the situation but it might be fun for him to play on the same team as his cousin, not just another kid.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 4:53 PM on May. 20, 2009

• absolutely!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 5:52 PM on May. 20, 2009

• of course
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 5:53 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Of course! We all need more family members.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:18 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Where I'm from 13th cousins count and come to dinner. But thats just normal around here. I can tell you pretty much how I'm realted to most everyone in my town. Most ppl have to go into the city to actully date someone they aren't kin to.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:05 PM on May. 20, 2009