how do you deal with racism? And NO this is NOT a Troll Post. For some reason I don't understand why this is so hard to believe!!!!

My husband is white. I am african american. We had a formal function that we attended. We dated for 3 years before we got married. This is the second marriage for us both. His ex wife feels blacks are inferior to white. Anyway back to the event. Here I am in a formal gown and I feel a slight sting on my face. I realize that people at this event are throwing food at me. ( I am the only black present) I was horrified. I told my hubby and he got up but could not see who was throwing the food because there was a huge crowd. Then again more food got thrown in my face. I was in tears and embarrassed. My Husband resigned from the club and went to the president. They did nothing. I feel his ex wife who hates the fact I am black put people up to it. She said "My kind was not welcomed there" What should I do if anything? She says the bible says races should not mix. She tells me I am the devil. I am so tired. Husband can't make it stop.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Didn't you post this already?
    rubipresiosa1

Answer by rubipresiosa1 at 4:54 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I don't know what bible she was reading. Or who's to say any color is better than another. Thats so stupid! This kinda crap makes me mad. God made us all and loves us all the same. I am sorry that you had to put up with that. Thats so sad and so stupid!
    My dh grandmas new dh os racisit. So when I knew they were gonna be in town I made my dd wear a shirt that had a picture of a dark skinned girl on it..haha..Nothing was said.
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 4:57 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Yes I did. I thought I would get better ideas on how to deal with this in a different catagory. I have been so upset. I am trying to think of a fair and tactful way to handle this... So any good advice would be nice.
    Anonymous

• I find it hard to believe b/c I am not friends with anybody who would DARE do that to anyone!

But I do know that their are FREAKS out in the world....so I guess with all the nuts out there that you may have just been unlucky enough to find them. ;(

Just know that their opinion doesnt matter b/c they are nuts. normal humans understand we are all people....;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:59 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Oh, I had a question....

Does he have to see his ex wife? Do they have children together?
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:00 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I've been in two many interacial relationships in the past and I'm a woman of color and I married an Asian man. While I've never had anyone say/do anything remotely racist to me to my face I'm sure there have been times where things were said behind my back. I don't have any real advice but I just wanted to say to keep your head held high, you've done nothing wrong.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 5:01 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Do you have stepkids? I'm wondering why you have to deal with this woman at all? If that is the case, start writing down every altercation you have with her, and the next time there is any sort of physical contact, immediately call the police, press assault charges and file for a restraining order. That will severely curtail her interactions with you. That said, if there are kids involved, there is no "good" answer because no matter what happens they'll be stuck in the middle.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:01 PM on May. 20, 2009

• You will always find ignorant people in this world we live in. Its sad that we are in2009 and people still act this way, but four years ago nobody would have thought we would end up with a black president. All I can say to you is YES WE CAN....:)
    Anonymous

• If it continues, you can file harassment charges against her. You can also file charges against the establishment, though I'm not certain what category that would fall under. I am so sorry you had to deal with something so grossly wrong. There is absolutely NO excuse whatsoever for behavior like that. Just know that you have a man in your life that loves you dearly.

By the way, next time she plays the biblical card, remind her that moses married a cushite (black) woman and see what she says!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 5:07 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Ok. The crap they pulled is just juvenile. I mean, what, are they in f-ing high school? I though most people stopped playing with their food in high school. But as to what to do, have you talked with an attorney? I am not generally one to suggest attorney's but in this case it may be the only way you can go about it. It sounds like the club may have a bit of a racist background. I would suggest talking to an attorney.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 5:09 PM on May. 20, 2009