What to put on my grocery list.

Ok ladies I need a little input. I am trying to cut way way back on spending money and I need to go to the grocery store. What are some inexpensive yet good and healthy things to put on my list? I would also love to see recipes that are inexpensive to make.

sew4fun

Asked by sew4fun at 4:57 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Food & Drink

• get a veggie tray instead of a pkg of different veggies. I use carrots and celery in dinners and steam broccoli one night and cauliflower another night as a side. I only buy a few of a variety of fruits...2 bananas, 2 apples, and tak out 1/2 the grapes so you don't waste them. Buy spagetti sauce in the can instead of jar. I always splurge on lean meat. After dinner save the leftovers in a tupperware you can freeze and have it for lunch the next week so you don't get burnt out on something.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:01 PM on May. 20, 2009

• If you like chicken, buy the boneless skinless thighs instead of boneless skinless breast. It's a bit cheaper. Also, buy the 1 lb bulk roll of frozen ground turkey (Louis Rich is a good brand) because its cheaper and healthier than ground beef. Cook bean soup from dried beans and a ham hock with some broth and you have a filling dinneer (served with cornbread) for right around $5. Make homemade burritos by browning 1 lb ground turkey and mixing it with 1 can fat free refried beans and 1 package taco seasoning then top with shredded lettuce and chopped tomato and onion. We make turkey chili by browning 2 lb ground turkey then add in 2 cans red kidney beans and 1 can diced tomatoes (undrained) and 1-2 pkg chili seasoning to taste. Serve with cornbread also. The Betty Crocker or Martha White corn muffin mixes are normally less than 50 cents a pack if you don't want to take the time to make it from scratch. More? PM me!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:38 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Beans are super nutritious and cheap! Use them in mexican dishes, like tostadas or mixed in with seasoned crumbled beef, served in whole wheat tortillas.

Pitas filled with grilled chicken, veggies, and a little cheeese is yummy.

Whole wheat pasta and homemade sauce is a good one too. Sauce: one large can of tomato sauce, one sm can of tomato paste (as a thickener), 1 tsp each - salt, sugar, chili powder, garlic powder. Simmer for 30 minutes.

Ham and Rice casserole: 1/4 c shredded ham slices, 1 package of boil-in-a-bag brown rice, 1/4 c chopped carrots, 1/4 c chopped broccoli, swiss cheese (torn into bite size pieces), cheddar cheese, 1/8 tsp red pepper. Prepare rice as directed. Boil veggies till tender. Mix rice, veggies and all other ingredients together. Simmer for 5 minutes (stir occassionally)
    Anonymous

• Make an 8 day meal plan before you shop; buy only what you need for meals & snacks.
    I buy a lot of frozen veggies; they are usually cheaper, they have less prep time, they last longer and they hold their nutrition longer. I always have frozen broccoli, cauliflower, chopped spinach, peas & carrots, sweet peas. I always have a big bag of frozen blueberries in the freezer, & chunks of over ripe bananas.
    After the age of two, the only beverage that humans need is water. Don't buy sodas or juices. You can liven up your water with a slice of fruit or vegetable; for kids, you can make icecubes with blueberry eyeballs.
    It sounds like you need help with meal ideas, so you can make your grocery list.
    Here are typical meals at our house: whole wheat spagetti and broccoli with peanut sauce; sweet potato & black bean burritos. lentil sloppy joes; hummus & veggie wraps; pasta with beans, spinach, sauce & cheese, contact me for recipes

Answer by rkoloms at 6:59 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Buy meat when it's only on sale. Start making a list of what meat cost at your local store, and compare it with other sale papers. Farm fresh runs a sale, but it's still more than the local food lion. So keep your list with you, and you will know if it's a good buy or not. You can do canned goods the same way. I never plan a menu. I only buy it if it's marked down, adn that's whats for dinner!
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 3:51 PM on May. 21, 2009

• My best advice is to subscribe to kraft food and family magazine at their website. It is free, and they have meal planning and pre made grocery lists. Granted, they don't always have the most nutritious things, but they mark their healthy recipes with a sun symbol, and I always change up the recipes to make them healthier. Oh, and allrecipes.com is a great tool, because you may think you have nothing in your house to cook, but use their 'ingredients' search tool, and you will find some of the best meals ever on there!
    merrilee1407

Answer by merrilee1407 at 12:26 PM on May. 25, 2009