• In the Spotlight:

are my twins normal in development?

My twins are 9 months 2 weeks (adj. age 8 months old) and they are totally different.My girl is really vocal, she bables, yells and makes raspberries, but she does not crawl yet and also, today she starts sitting by herself, from tummy or back position to sitting position,in the other hand my boy is totally motor ,he crawls, pulls up from furniture and tries to move but he does not bable, he only makes raspberries sounds, and coos sounds and also yells.Both are in regional center because they are preemie, and the lady said that when one baby is focused in one thing (for example crawl) sometines other milestone could be delay.I am worried about my boy.Could be normal that he does not bable yet? he smiles me back,follows objects, looks for me when he is tired or wants to be held,sometimes answer his name when i called him, but no bable yet,now he has separation anxiety, laughs when his big brother play with him. Coul be normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds very normal. My boy started talking much later than my girl. Boys tend to be less verbal, and as you said he's busy with other things right now.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:32 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I have a 2, 3 year old cousins. One a boy and one a girl, the girl talks so much and is has been for the longest time. The boy omg you can't understand shit he is saying haha. So I think it just goes to show that girls are smarter. The boy is 2 weeks older than the girl.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 5:43 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Yep. Hardly heard a peep out of my oldest until he was 13 months old...and by 18 months he was a talking fool! (full conversations and easily understood by others) He was early with all his gross motor stuff (sat alone at 4 months, crawled at 6 months, walked at 10). He was too busy concentrating on moving to take the time to talk.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:08 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Totally normal... My twins are 11 months old. I have a screamer, and they both abble. One does a normal crwl and pulls himself up the other does an army crawl, and is beginning to pull up,,, but does not sit on his own. they will seldom do the same task at the same time, it is whatever is normal for them. If PEDES isn't concerned no need for you to be.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 6:52 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Yes, My son (born at 35 wks) did not babble with consonants at 9 months, so we had him evaluated by Early Childhood Intervention. They said basically the same thing about delays sometimes occurring when babies are working on another skill, and they felt he would come around. As the weeks ticked by with still no babbling, I went berserk researching everything from Autism to Apraxia. Turns out, ECI was right.  After he started pulling up and cruising (around 10.5 months), he started babbling a little (but still no b's, m's, gesturing or pointing, so was still worrying).  But, he took his first steps 3 days before turning 1, and within a day or two, he started babbling more.  Within a week after his birthday, he said mama and ba-ba.  I wouldn't worry too much, and FYI...too much internet research can cause A LOT of unnecessary anxiety!

jen0792

Answer by jen0792 at 1:06 PM on May. 22, 2009