What do you think of giving my son a hand-me down bike for his birthday?

A good friend of mine had a bike that her son has hardly used and it has been in a closet for 4 years. It looks almost brand new. My son's birthday is coming up and he is so hard on all his stuff that I swore I wouldn't buy him another bike! Monies tight, of course. He would get a few other smaller things but this would be his main gift. What do you think?

Cindy18

Asked by Cindy18 at 6:07 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• The only bikes I ever owned were used...GO FOR IT!
    Coaching4kids

Answer by Coaching4kids at 1:41 PM on May. 21, 2009

• Since it looks brand new, I don't see why not.
    Anonymous

• I dont see why not. At least he is getting a bike....
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 6:11 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I gave my son's old video game system he didn't play with anymore to a friend of mine for her son. She gave it to her son for Christmas.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:12 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I think its a good idea...
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 6:20 PM on May. 20, 2009

• go for it!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 7:00 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I bought my daughter a used nintendo ds on Ebay for Christmas. I kind of felt bad at the time but she wouldn't have got one otherwise.
    MACY7108

Answer by MACY7108 at 7:08 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Hey, great for you for giving him a bike. And he doesn't need to know. I got a used bike as a kid and I tell you I had great fun on it. He won't care how you got it. He will just have fun on it.
    Anonymous

• i say why not.i have a really nice north face jacket of my daughters and i dont want to give it to the good will cause i dont want it to go to a wealthy person i want it to go to a little girl who cant afford one.and i also have a bike that is nice...i may give them to rosies place in boston.its for abused families.
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 8:01 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I've given my kids gently used items that I've been given for gifts - they don't care and I didn't as a child, either.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 8:31 PM on May. 20, 2009