How to get a 15 month old to stop screaming?!

When I take my 15 month old to the store, if he is playing with something and I take it away he will just scream at the top of his lungs. It is ear piercing and embarrassing! If I give the item back he will stop screaming immediately. It is so tempting to just give the item back to him but, I know this is not going to help the problem in the long run. How should I handle this situation at the store?

jacy3031

Asked by jacy3031 at 6:19 PM on May. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• Is the item a product in the store? If so, stop giving him stuff to play with that doesn't belong to him and isn't going to ever belong to him; Instead, bring his own toys for him to play with. Children that age do not understand the concept of "borrow" or "only looking"; to them everything that passes into their hands is theirs, so when you hand your son something off a store shelf, he automatically assumes it is his forever, so of course he screams bloody murder, you just took his, at that moment, very favorite toy away. Letting a child hold something from the store is a bad habit to get into, as you are quickly finding out, so break it now while he's still young.

As a solution, If he absolutely must hold something "new" while you shop, then put together a bag of toys from home that are only for going out shopping & this way they will be new to him everytime you go out. You can even rotate toys to keep his interest up.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:15 PM on May. 20, 2009

• My son did the same thing. I didn't give him what was the stores product, normally he grabbed it off the shelf when I got close to it. When he screamed like that I popped him on the butt or hand or something and told him no. If he continued to scream I would leave the store and and really spank him.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 9:58 PM on May. 20, 2009