Public school playground?

When I go to pick up my kids (age 7 and 9) after school I let them stay and play on the playground for 20-30 minutes while I chat with other moms. Quite a few kids do this so it's not unusual. Today this one teacher who is generally quite mean anyway, went up to my son and told him that he had to go home immediately after school and that he couldn't play anymore. He was pretty upset about it. I'm sure she didn't say it nicely because she's a b**ch anyway. (sorry...just had to vent there). Since I think she was overstepping her authority (it's after school, he's with his mom and not doing anything wrong) I let him stay and play another 20 minutes.

I have always thought that public schools are public property - we pay for them with our tax dollars and we have a right to let our kids stay and play as long as we're supervising them. They can't tell us to leave can they?

goldenfox

Asked by goldenfox at 6:31 PM on May. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• My school district allows anyone on the playgrounds as long as they are with a parent. The rule is that the kids that aren't supervised have to be off the property within 15 minutes of the end of school. That teacher was rude, I would be complaining to the principal. Parents used to sit and let their kids play for an hour after school, especially on nice days.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:24 PM on May. 20, 2009

• you might want to talk to the school principal (sp). i know that you can be arrested for being on school property after school hours, at least where i live. and no, dont think of it as "public property" that is just gonna get you in trouble. sounds like the teacher was just being a b!tch.
    JessieK79

Answer by JessieK79 at 6:36 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Actually they can because of liability issues. Some schools have rules on when the playground is open to the public. I believe it has something to do with them being responsible for a certain amount of time. The school can even be held accountable for actions of the students off of the school property.

Your best bet is to contact the principal and ask what the rules are. My daughter's old school had a rule that the kids couldn't be there until 20 minutes after school was out.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:39 PM on May. 20, 2009

• It sounds like she was pretty rude, but I think she had a point. The school is liable for whatever happens on school grounds. If I child got injured on the playground the school would be responsible for the injuries even if the parent was present. That's why most school campuses are secure and you can't use the playground at night or on weekends. I'm very surprised the school allows kids to use the playground after school.

It would have been more appropriate if the administration spoke to the parents or posted a sign. As a teacher, I wouldn't approach parents about something like that if it had been going on a while.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 6:40 PM on May. 20, 2009

• At dd's school you have to be off school property 15 min. after school gets out unless you are participating in a after school activity. They arn't allowed on school property more than 15 min. before school starts either.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 6:49 PM on May. 20, 2009

• In our town the school playgrounds are available to play on all the time, but this has not been the case in anywhere else I have ever lived. I would call the principal to clarify the rules. If she was wrong, I would just ignore her in the future. In theory I agree with your idea, but due to all the ridiculous lawsuits, the rules have really changed.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 6:53 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Most of our schools have afternoon recreation run by the city so there is always kids there. It seems rediculous to expect them to leave right away, but like others have said it's the lawsuits.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:31 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I am surprised, especially if other kids were there. Even if you can't be there, I'd speak to that teacher and tell her she should have approached the parent and not the child.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:20 PM on May. 20, 2009