whats wrong with calling your child a monkey?

okay so i was reading a post in another group that i am not normally in just checking things out and there was a post about a shirt that had a monkey on it and said mommy's little monkey or something to that reference. she asked if you would put that on your kid. Alot of people said no and for different reasons and as i read through them i realized that it was due to race slur i guess. I never looked at it that way did you? I call my kid a monkey all the time when he is jumping around or swinging on a bar like a monkey. I didnt realize it was a racial slur did you? Do you call your kids monkeys or any other animal name? why or why not? I am in no way trying to sound rude or mean or anything so please dont take it that way...Just wondering cause its the first i have heard about it. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Never thought of it that way. Heck years ago I did a cross stitch pattern on a sweater for a friend's daughter and it said "Little Monkey" and had pictures of monkeys swinging from trees. It was cute.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:40 PM on May. 20, 2009

• i have never thought of it that way either. we were called that when we were really hyper. i've called my kids pigs b4. ;)
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 6:41 PM on May. 20, 2009

• My niece's nickname is monkey. We've called her that since she was born. SHe's 2 now. I've never thought of it that way lol. We call her that because she's always clung to whoever is holding her and won't let go lol. You can not hold her at all and she'll stay attatched to you....like a monkey....lol
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 6:41 PM on May. 20, 2009

• hmmm how can it be linked to a racial slur? I call my kids monkies too...just because they are silly and energetic......
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 6:41 PM on May. 20, 2009

• see same here i have never thought of it that way until today. So can i not call him a monkey in public anymore without starting something with someone? I just didnt know.
    Anonymous

• i call my kiddos monkeys and chickens. monkeys when they are all over the place, chickens when they are "clucking" around me making me crazy!!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 6:43 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Mine's been Monkey since he was 2 weeks old and started making monkey noises whenever he knew he was about to be fed. Add that to his learning to climb before he could walk, he will forever be Monkey.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:47 PM on May. 20, 2009

• It is all in how you use it. I call my kids monkeys all the time. But we also do this funny thing when we are changing a diaper to put the clean diaper on the kids heads and tease about them having a diaper head. My sister heard us and said we were promoting the racial slur about Muslims. Give be a break. We would never call anybody either of those names as a racial slur.
    BTW...we still do the diaper thing but now call it George Washington hair.

I think it also has to do with geography. In certain places it is a hot button issue. Where we live it isn't.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:48 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I am personally offended by it be a racial slur! I am getting fed up with not being able to say certain things because its "offensive" to some even if its not intended to be racist. When my daughter was wrapped in a blanket we called her our little burrito Is that offensive to Mexicans? I would love to continue my ranting and raving but my fingers are getting all jumbled. Point being Im going to put my daughter in a monkey shirt if I want and If I can find one for me I will buy it!! : ) Sorry... Bash away about how I'm a racist Bitch...
    jhj4ever

Answer by jhj4ever at 6:49 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Me too! I'm sick and tired of everyone being so dang sensitive about common phrases that have been used for years--now suddenly it's offensive and everyone is worried about being called a racist. Yet, it's OK for people of a particular race to call themselves names that they complain others use are derrogatory.
    Anonymous