How can I get my 10 week old to sleep?

My baby loves to fall asleep while nursing or being walked around. I know these are not the best choices as they make baby dependent and then she cannot nap on her own. I want to transition her to her crib for routine naps but today she screamed her head off and has not gotten a nap AT ALL!

Any advice or tricks that work for you? All suggestions are sooo appreciated ;)

MammaMia72

Asked by MammaMia72 at 6:45 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When I transistioned my son to his crib I would get him almost asleep and then set him in his crib and rub him or pat him until he feel the rest of the way asleep. worked with me and now I just put him in there when he's sleepy. He's 3 months now.
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 6:54 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Nothing broken here! At ten weeks, she's not supposed to be able to sleep on her own. Just let her do as she will...even sleep training advocates say you cannot start before six months.

Relax. They ALL learn to sleep on their own, even if you do nothing to teach them to. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 7:11 PM on May. 20, 2009

• my dd was the same way. she didn't like to sleep or nap alone (she always had to have some part of her touching me). she's my first (maybe only), i'm a sahm, am breastfeeding, & just wanted to enjoy every minute of her. at some point, she started falling asleep on her own & i was able to lay her down alone (although i don't do it very often since she is so active, it's the only time i have to relax as well). some babies need that closeness more than others. if you have the time (& want to), take that time to enjoy her (& relax). my dd will be 1 on june 27th & the time has flown by. they grow up so quickly! i have already noticed that she won't let me cuddle her as much as she used to :( congrats on your (somewhat) new baby! good for you for breastfeeding, keep up the great work! good luck & enjoy every minute you have with her!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 7:13 PM on May. 20, 2009

• It's too early. The Eustachian tube development that makes a person capable of realizing they aren't falling (the one that keeps you from rolling out of your bed at night) is still undeveloped. Six months is the regular timeframe for that development. For now, you're fostering the sense that falling asleep is secure, and that nothing bad can happen to her. Relax - I guarantee, she'll sleep in the baby cage eventually. Try laying her in it after she's soundly asleep (when her body is so limp you can move it without any tension.)
    rainbowlight

Answer by rainbowlight at 7:44 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I know everyone tells you not to nurse to sleep.... so what! My little guy just turned one and I nursed him to sleep everytime! Hes not spoiled, hes very independent. By about 6 mo he was sleeping all night in his own crib. You can try to breastfeed and lay her down sleepy. Or compleetly nurse her to sleep and put her in her crib. Start with naps in the crib, eventually bedtime will follow. From my exp., after I nursed my son to sleep I had a 3-7 min window to get him down into his crib, if I held him in my arms any longer and then tried to lay him down after that he would almost always wake up. As a mom you have to do what feels right for you and your baby. I'm weaning mine off the boob juice now and trust me, nursing your baby to sleep are the times your going to miss. They grow to fast!
    JennO2

Answer by JennO2 at 7:51 PM on May. 20, 2009

• The only thing I ever did faithfully was swaddle the baby every time I put her down to sleep. That made a big difference with my baby. Then she started unwrapping herself to get her arms free, so then I just swaddled her body and legs. I think it helped partly because she wasn't going from my warm arms to a cold sheet on the bed (kinda startles them). I would just leave a fleece blanket in her bed ready to wrap her when I wanted to put her down. Sometimes she slept in the bassinett, sometimes co-slept (if she was inconsolable), but I would always try to get her to sleep in the crib at least once a day. She learned to love the crib, she was in there full time after a month or two. Just keep at it, she will eventually give in (hopefully). Some take longer than others. I also nursed to sleep, never had a problem with it. Do what works, lol. Oh, and if she still won't sleep, try the gas drops (I used Mylecon) - worked wonders :)
    Kiiimmm

Answer by Kiiimmm at 10:48 PM on May. 20, 2009