My mother in law steals my clothes and treats me and my family with disrespect. What do i do to get her to at least stop taking my things?

edwinsmom2008

Asked by edwinsmom2008 at 3:43 AM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't Laugh...I am serious. Lock your things up. I have snoopy snoop in-laws too...the only way to keep them clear of my things is to lock 'em out. The disrespect part of your question...this has plagued generations of women! LOL ..if we could just ship them all of together somewhere..wouldn't life be so much easier.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 3:51 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I think you should confront her and find out why she is taking your things. Also, buy a lock for your door.
    AngieVee

Answer by AngieVee at 4:31 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• lock her out LOL...GL!!
    MiraclesDHappen

Answer by MiraclesDHappen at 4:45 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• this may sound sort of drastic but if you confront her, I would also let her know that what she is doing is against the law and that if you find another thing missing after she has been around you will call the police and report her. Maybe that might make her think about it twice before she decides to steal from you again. Other than that the disrespect thing is a hard one, you can't force someone to give you respect, but by setting boundaries about the stealing issue and communicating to her maturely about the things that are upsetting you, she main gain some respect for you. There are those people though that don't ever really get it and think they can treat people any old way, so stand your ground.. and by all means lock your things up and call the law if need be... good luck
    BreakingFree

Answer by BreakingFree at 7:21 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• My ex MIL used to rearrange all my cabinest and throw out things in my medicne cabinet. Despite asking to to stop it she kept it up. So one day I had a candle party and filled the medicne cabinet with marbles.......it was not easy, so when she arrived late (as usual) she went to the bathroom and proceeded to open the medicne cabinet after she used the toilet. The sound of 200 crashing marbles all over the place embarassed her soo much she NEVER tried to open another cabinet in my house much less rearrange it or throw things away.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:20 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• lock her out seriously no jk! THE SAME WAY THAT YOU RESPECT HER HOUSE OR SPACE SHE HAS TO DO IT WIH YOU!!
    shantee32

Answer by shantee32 at 3:04 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Do you live with the in-laws? If so, talk to her. Tell her you'd like your stuff back & if she wants something, all she has to do is ask! If you don't live with her, change the locks or put your valuables in a locking chest or something. If she won't stop being disrespectful, I guess she just shouldn't get invited over anymore... and if she can't figure it out on her own, then have your DH talk to her.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 1:45 AM on Jun. 22, 2008