• In the Spotlight:

should i go to nursing school or get my teachin credentials

i am a preschool teacher. i want to go back to school. i want to be a nurse but i am scared because of the crazy hours i would have to work. i have 3 wonderful children i have always been there when they woke up gotten out of school ate dinner and when they went to bed. as a nurse i would miss all of this. because my husband works from 730 -730 and works on saturday we would have to hire a baby sitter every time i worked. i feel like this would be a bad choice for the kids. teaching may be a better choice. i have taught preschool for the past 10 yrs so it wouldn't be all that different just more money and i would have more responsibility. what do you think am i making the right choice

mar1215

Asked by mar1215 at 7:28 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Money & Work

• As short handed as most places are go for nursing, if you can get into a program. Nurses don't always work crazy hours, it depends on where they work. I know several who work in the school system, and in dr.'s offices. The only issue is getting into a nursing program, a lot of them are full with waiting lists.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:33 PM on May. 20, 2009

• yes teamquinn is tottally right.. MOST schools with nursing programs are FULL with waiting list but if you put your name on a list that will give you time to get a babysitter that you can trust and get familiar with the college/cc/school that you will be attending the hours of schooling and so on how long it will take the community college for the best program here is TCC which is 21 months which is wonderful! the first year or so is 12 hours a week. my neighbor worked it out for her kids she takes her kids to school, then she goes to school(only 2 days a week) and is home in time to pick up her kids. easy as that just have to find a program to fit your schedule especially with children
    NewLady1

Answer by NewLady1 at 7:38 PM on May. 20, 2009

• This is great I was thinking the EXACT same thing!!! I'm thinking about going to nursing school as well, how long is the waiting list (on average)?
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 8:11 PM on May. 20, 2009

• There is a growing nursing shortage in the US, and there are all kinds of nursing jobs. If you choose to work at a hospital, you will have the option of working 11 pm to 7 am. RNs have so much flexibility. My sister is an RN and supplements her income by teaching and doing drug seminars.
    Just be sure that your are attended and accredited nursing program that is not at a for profit school. The for-profit schools, by law, exist to make money for their shareholders, not to educate students.
    Good luck!

Answer by rkoloms at 8:20 AM on May. 21, 2009