Your own bible. Spin off question.

Has anyone ever inherited a bible or plan to pass one on?
One of my most valued possessions is a bible that I inherited from my grandmother. It is a beautiful 1872 King James bible that has been in my family since 1872 and passed down from namesake to namesake.
It also has recorded on some blank pages in the front of the book, the births, deaths and marriages of my ancesters since the early 1800's, which I have continued to update. I will pass it on to my oldest daughter who is the next namesake in the family line.

In the two years that I have been on cafemom and the thousands of christian posts I have read, I have never heard anyone say they do this.

beeky

Asked by beeky at 7:42 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• my husband and i arent christian but my husbands family has a bible that they pass down, my husband has it and i guess we're suppose to give it to our son...

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 7:59 PM on May. 20, 2009

• my sister has ours, it's a Catholic Bible with my Nana's family in it, it's passed from oldest daughter to oldest daughter.....

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 8:16 PM on May. 20, 2009

• That's a very old tradition, and it's very cool that you do that; especially the part about recording your basic family history in it.

I think my oldest sister got our family Bible - it's only about 3 generations old though.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 8:35 PM on May. 20, 2009

• my mom is kid # 2 & my dad is #3 so they didnt get the Bible's on their sides. i dont think ive ever seen my parent's family Bibles. but for our wedding my DH's grandpa got us a family Bible that's gorgeous & has our family name printed on it. we will prolly give it to our son (if we have one) since he will be carrying on the family name.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:38 PM on May. 20, 2009

• No actually my family doesn't do this. My dad has a Bible that his grandfather preached out of when he was still alive (he was a Baptist preacher). I have a Bible from a grandfather on the other side of the family. Other than that, ours are all fairly new.

I would like to pass my Bible on to my kids. I've got a few of them.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:39 PM on May. 20, 2009

• My dad has my grandfathers he carried during world war II
    this is a tradition that is many generations old. I have several Bibles that I will give to each kid and encourage them to make a few for each child. I think it is such a raw deal only the oldest gets the family bible.
    This tradition goes beyond bibles. My mother's childhood things were ruined in a flood in the 1950s. However, all my children were baptised in the gown all my brothers and sisters and I wore during our own baptism. My daughter wore my first communion dress and veil and I wore the veil for my wedding. I have seen gowns and sacramental over a 100 years old passed from generation to generation.
    livingangle

Answer by livingangle at 9:02 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I will inherit one and yes I have a small NT bible from my grandfather.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:07 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Thanks for sharing this, it's a beautiful idea.....one I would love to begin for my family. My dad has a huge Bible that we displayed in our home growing up but it is no longer out. I'll have to ask him where it came from and where it is now.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 9:10 PM on May. 20, 2009

• We have my hubbys moms bible from there wedding day, and i have the childrens bible my great grandfather gave me from when i was born...I dont have anything as rich with family history as yours, that is great, and a great way to feel connected to your ancesters
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:29 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I have my great grandmothers Bible. Its very old. I'm not sure if she was given it or if she bought it, though...
    My husband was also given a family Bible that's quite old and has been passed down a few times.
    They're probably two of our most precious possessions.
    I think the only other "precious" things we own are our wedding rings, as they were his grandmother's and his grandfather's - they wore them for 50 years, until he passed on. So the family significance behind them make them mean even more to us.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:18 PM on May. 20, 2009