Am I babying him?

Ok so my 5 1/2 yr old son is ALL BOY. He has had bunk beds for a while and they are a toal pain in the ass to take apart and put together when moving, and to make the bed. We are moving this weekend and the new house has a celing fan in his room. I decided that between the nussance and my fear of him getting hurt by being on the top bunk potentially lasoeing the fan that I would get rid of them.
Also my front door at the new house is french doors so I decided to get some curtains to put up so I would have them closed when i want and opened when I want. My friend showed me some that are made just for french doors, only cover the glass. They velcro on the top. And when you want them up you have to hand roll them all the way up to tie up. (too much work) I said I didnt want those for a few reasons, one being that I think my lil man would be tearing them down.She told me that I am allways making accomidations for him,

mommymeg03

Asked by mommymeg03 at 8:15 PM on May. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think you're right on about the bunk beds. He doesn't need to be sleeping on a top bunk at his age unless he has a younger brother who shares his room and sleeps on the bottom bunk. Child proofing your home is a part of parenting. As far as the curtains are concerned I think you are thinking of your own sanity rather than his accommodations. As mommies we have to pick our battles, do you really want to have that battle every single day? Multiple times of day?

We got these blinds from JC Penny that are sort of like venetian blinds but their fabric. I think they're called "honey comb" or "solar" blinds. They're very pretty and they're energy efficient. They help insulate the windows. The ones that we got have no cord on them so there is no strangulation hazard. You just push them up or down and they stay were you left them. They are so easy to use and very practical.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:30 PM on May. 20, 2009

• and that he should have rules. I was a lil caught off gaurd. He definatly has rules and consequences for his actions. But I thought that that is just what us mommies do, adjust our lives to our children. Esp. since the bunk bed tihng was a concern for his possibly getting hurt.
    What do you think?
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:16 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Itr sounds like you are doing a great job, you are suppose to make sacrifices for your children, thats what being a parent is all about... He is still young and you really cant discipline him all that much
    Anonymous

• I agree with you on the curtain thing. It would be a rare boy that wouldn't "accidently" pull those down at least once. And we did the same thing with the bunk beds - mainly because they're a pain in the rear to change the sheets!!
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 8:31 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Oops! "They're fabric" not "their" sorry! I hate that!

I also wanted to add that you can have the blinds custom fit for your windows.

Okay good luck!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:31 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Oh you could also have frosted glass put in the windows so that it lets light in but you get your privacy at the same time and you don't have to worry about all the up and down with blinds.

Okay really that's it. Sorry for all the answers!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:32 PM on May. 20, 2009

• thanks guys :)
    btw he had been sleeping on the top bunk, but the current house has no celing fan, the new one does and i can just see the disaster waiting to happen....
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:33 PM on May. 20, 2009

• lol bek
    :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:34 PM on May. 20, 2009

• The bunk bed thing with the ceiling fan is understandable.

Not getting a certain of type of curtain because your kid might pull them down...I'm with your friend. It might happen once. But if you handle it right, it will ONLY happen once.
    Anonymous

• I think you're doing what it takes to make sure your son is safe and your house isn't torn apart by a boy who's naturally curious.

I'm guessing this other woman has no kids of her own.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:17 PM on May. 20, 2009