A social 'ettiquete' change in black people?

I was watching Family Feud reruns the other day - some old 80's re-runs - and compared it to current shows. The older shows that had black families on them were drastically different than today. The black people back in the 80's didn't have 'slang' in their speech or any sounds of 'ebonics'. They also dressed way more conservatively - and aside from bigger hair on the men (more afro-ish), the women's hair was very plain and simple. Why today is their more slang and sloppier dress (baggy pants, etc.)????

I've also noticed this in other shows. Even "The Toy" with Richard Prior, or Eddie Murphy movies were way different than today.

Do you think rap music is causing this 'ghetto/thug' like speech and dress?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Black culture is just becoming more and more intertwined with the main stream. You are comparing the present day to game shows and movies not to what the neighbor hoods looked like. It's just the American melding pot at work. Black culture becomes more and more of the main stream and the lines become more and more blurred. Now days it's mostly just considered pop culture because we are so well intergraded.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:45 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Hmm I see "ghetto/thug" slang being used in Non-Black sitcoms as well. If I hear "Fo shizzle My nizzle" on another show I'll cut myself.

Anyway, I don't think there is a social "etiquette" change in black people. I don't act "ghetto/thugish" at all. I will say that the number of shows that display black people in a positive light is limited. I could go on, but I'll wait.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 8:47 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Umm please don't start clumping all black people together. Just wanted to add that. THANKS.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 8:50 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Blacks have had their own "street speak" for a long time, They called it "jive talk" back in the 70's and 80's.

If you want a sampling of it, there's a scene in Airplane where an old white lady speaks it to some black guys.
    Anonymous

• OK I can see this post becoming gross. :-/
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 8:54 PM on May. 20, 2009

• but it's the white people oppressing them still?
    I would never hire a sagger, who could not be understood on the telephone.
    Anonymous

• "Jive talk"? Really?

Look you are all comparing what amounts to a white interpretation of black culture to actual black culture. What you all are describing is a character, not reality.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:03 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I have yet to meet a black person who talked slang to me or differently than how white people talk to me. I lived in Michigan in a suburb of Detroit and where I lived, everyone talked the same.
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 9:04 PM on May. 20, 2009

• OP here - I am comparing old 'common' movies and 'common' shows with NO viewer biases. For example - I am NOT talking about shows like "Good Times" which was geared to blacks or "All in the Family" which was gears to whites.

I am talking about everyday shows - even the Price is Right!!!

oh - LadyChamp - "I will say that the number of shows that display black people in a positive light is limited" and "please don't start clumping all black people together". How the heck can you say that by talking Game Shows? This post will only become "gross" if people have a chip on their shoulders and don't look objectively.
    Anonymous

• What is the reality???????
    Anonymous