13 yr old Cancer patient on the run to avoid Chemo.......

I haven't been following this story super close. Really just over the last few days. This boy has a form of cancer with a high cure rate when chemo id used. His parents refused it wanted to use natural remedies. The court said they must do the chemo. The boy then says he will fight anyone who comes near him. Yesterday the boy and mom disappeared. Now today it seems there may be a man with them who went through a simalr thin at 16, used natural remedies and was cured. I would REALLY be interested to hear ya'll take on this. On one hand I really think the boy needs to get it, for his own good. Especially with the cure rate. On the other do I really want the gov't stepping in and telling me what medical procedures I HAVE to give my children? People are cured by natural (non toxic) remedies all the time!

This really has me not sure. What are ya'lls thoughts??

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 8:49 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,520690,00.html?test=latestnews

This is a link to the latest story and there are links to the others in this article.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:50 PM on May. 20, 2009

• The goverment should not be aloud to force this child to recieve medical attention. If he chooses another form of care he should have the right to do so. As should his parents. America is twisted when it comes to medicine. They force drugs down our throats and fail to actually find out what is wrong with people. Now, I believe that many things are helpful and I do appreciate the work of our doctors and scientists, but if I had cancer and wanted to try a holistic approach they better let me or I'd go out shooting people... After that didn't work, maybe I'd consider the other option, but for god's sake, let the family try.
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 8:52 PM on May. 20, 2009

• if the government is forcing this mother to make the decision to let her son live, then they should STOP giving the option of women to murder innocent babies
    Anonymous

• Anon - this is not an abortion question. Can we please not start that drama today???

OP - I'm kinda like you on this - on the fence. I for one, could never deny my child the medicine that I know will cure him, especially since the cure rate is so high with the chemo. But I also dont want the govt telling me what I should or should not do medically for my child. But, each case is different. So on this one, I guess I am leaning towards the docs on this.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 9:23 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Cancer cannot and will never be cured by holistic means or self remedy or faith healers or any other kind of remedy other then chemo or radiation. This is not like a virus or a cold or a rash or acne. It is a disease that attacks the cells in the body and can spread very very fast without proper care. In some cases there is no hope. This child will die without chemo and the mother will be at fault. Not the court system. She is willfully neglecting the needs of her child. He is 13 not 18 so it is her decision and she must be held responsible for the outcome. Just like any of us would be. This case has nothing to do with abortion. It has everything to do with neglecting ones child and that is against the law.
    Anonymous

• Definitely on the fence with this one.

While I do think that the chemo is worth a shot with such a high success rate, I also think that the decision for what kind of care he receives should be up to the family, ESPECIALLY the boy himself.

And by the way anon.. Technically speaking, the government has NO right to tell this family how to treat their son, and the fact that they felt like they had no other option but to run is appalling. Therefore, the government has no right to say that a woman can't have an abortion. As it is, it's not like they are refusing to treat him. They simply want to treat them in the way that they feel is best. That's like saying that the government has a right to step in and force me to give birth in a hospital, because THEY think it is better, when I feel that giving birth with a midwife at a birth center is better for me.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 9:35 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Chemo might help now, but later on the boy will probably get cancer again because chemo damages your body so badly that it can cause more cancer. The government should not be able to decide whether this boy gets chemo or not. It's his and his family's choice. What I want to know is if the government is going to MAKE them do chemo, is the government going to pay for it too?
    Anonymous

• I don't think the courts or the government have any business interfering with our health-care decisions. The boy is 13 yrs old, and is capable of making a choice as to what he wants. The government is already trying to stick their nose into everything we do, and while I personally would not withhold possible life saving treatment to my child, I wouldn't want the courts being able to tell me what I could and couldn't do.  Kudos to the mom for defying the judge.

MemawBrie

Answer by MemawBrie at 9:56 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Yes, you do have the right to choose what path you want to take,but,what happens, when,he get so sick and cry out and no one is allow to help him because he refused help before or signed a will saying do not resusiciate(sp),yes, most peolpe don't understand the end means,the DRS. have to let you beg for water, your family have to hold your hand ,while you scream out in pain and keep begging ,just wet my lips,all because,my sweet mother signed a paper,and said, I don't want help in the end,but, in the end ,she begged for help,but, the DRS. couldn't .So,now do you still think,that a 13 yrs. old child can mentally say,I don't want CHEMO even if it save my life,now,remember,do you think this same 13 yrs. old can make a baby and be a good daddy,no,so why would be able to make this choice, I think his parents made it,just like my mother made a her choice,but,was very sorry at the end.
    Anonymous

• I have followed this story from the start since I live near this situation. I am not sure how I feel about it. I had a classmate die of that same cancer and he was undergoing radiation and chemo. But as a mother, I would be doing everything possible to make sure my kid was cured. Not just hoping that some herbs and such would save them. I do believe that healthy eating/lifestyle can cure a lot of illnesses, but not cancer.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 10:00 PM on May. 20, 2009