is orajel really bad for babies?

My husbands boss told him that orajel isnt good for babies and it could be life threating. He wants me to stop using it but the baby is teething and wont stop crying. I dont know what to believe.

edwinsmom2008

Asked by edwinsmom2008 at 3:46 AM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My kids are 2 and 5 and they survived. I have not heard of this being an issue. You may wish to google the question or call the company..look on the back of the package for the phone number or e-mail address. Try babies advil or tylenol for the little ones pain. Chewing on a damp wash cloth can also offer a lot of relief. good luck
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 3:59 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• i tried to use that with my sone but it didn't really work. i think that because he was drooling so much it kinda washed it out of his mouth. i also tried teething tablets, but in the end i just took a clean wash cloth got it wet and put it in the freezer for awhile. then i just took it out and rolled it up and let him chew in it. it worked better than anything else.
    monster_momma

Answer by monster_momma at 4:02 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Have you tried Teething Tablets. They are a all natural homeopathic tablet that you give the child to dissolve in their mouth. My son loves them. We have gone through several bottles.

Another source is GRIPE water. It is another homeopathic remedy that assists with teething pain.
    AngieVee

Answer by AngieVee at 4:29 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Hey don't scare me my son is teething too and i've been using oragel AHHHH !!! I think your best bet speaking with your child's doctor . I would also suggest keeping a few pacifiers in the fridge and some chilled baby teething rings. and when nothing works its okay to let baby cry a little or at least thats what i heard lol in my house i'm usually crying with baby .

bellamadre19

Answer by bellamadre19 at 6:14 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I never heard it's bad for them, but it's pretty much useless when it comes to getting rid of the pain when they're teething.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:58 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• My ped told me he doesn't like to recommend it b/c it can actually numb the throat & get in the way of the baby's gag reflex if he/she were to choke. My SIL has used the homeopathic teething tablets w/ her son.
    gaamom

Answer by gaamom at 8:21 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I heard that Oragel can toughen the gums and make it harder for the teeth to break through....I'm not sure if that's true or not, but I'm not using it with my little one. He does seem to like the teething tablets by Hylands.
    sbailey

Answer by sbailey at 10:32 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Our doctor told that we could use it if we wanted, but that it doesn't really work for longer than a minute or 2. We've just been giving my son Tylenol when his teeth are really hurting him.
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 10:45 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• There are two problems with Orajel
    If it is put too far back in the mouth or too much is used, it can cause the baby to choke
    and
    It doesn't last very long - about 30 minutes max.

It's best to stick with baby tylenol or baby motirn and use teething tablets. Be aware, the teething tablets do NOT relieve pain, they help take the edge off of the "upset" feeling, helping calm the baby down.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:41 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• The only thing I heard was that Orajel actually toughens the gums making it harder for teeth to break through.
    lilblufrog

Answer by lilblufrog at 12:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2008