• In the Spotlight:

The baby is hungry ... again! Mommies, please read!

My two month old girl, Morgan, has been regularly consuming 6 ozs of formula every 4-5 hours. Five days ago, the pediatrician told us that she was 25 1/4" long, and 14.1 lbs, the average size of a four month old. He advised that if she wanted up to eight ounces of formula at a time, that would be fine. He also told us that in two months' time, by our next appointment, she should be on baby cereal. So far, okay.

Yesterday afternoon, Morgan seemingly couldn't get enough formula. She ate a 6 oz bottle ever hour from 5 PM to 9 PM. After that, she seemed to be back to normal, like she was just going through a growth spurt.

However, from this morning at 5 AM, she has been doing the same thing. She has barely slept a wink since then. I feel like the formula isn't doing the trick anymore, and perhaps we should be weaning cereal into her diet. I also realize that she is two months old and that seems too early ... (Continued)

KatieBatey

Asked by KatieBatey at 9:17 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is my thing, if the baby is hungry, feed that baby! I started mine on cereal at about 3 months spooning it to them. My daughter had a doctors order to have cereal put in her bottles by 1month because of some acid reflux issues. As mothers, we can tell if our baby's are hungry. Age limits are given for a reason, yet, it really varies from child to child.
    princessj05

Answer by princessj05 at 9:41 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Although the pediatrician did say she's the same body size as a four month old. What should I do? Should I stick it out and see if her appetite regulates itself? Should I add cereal? If I stick it out, how long should I wait? Please help. I really don't know what to do.

New mommy crisis!
    KatieBatey

Answer by KatieBatey at 9:19 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Try adding a little bit of cereal to her bottle.
    Anonymous

• I had this problem whn i first had my sons so i started them on baby cereal and baby food at 2 months so you should try this and make sure you get karo syrup for the constipation if the baby get s some
    ZYONSHAKUR

Answer by ZYONSHAKUR at 9:22 PM on May. 20, 2009

• are you sure shes crying for hunger? make sure all her other needs have been met. it may be something else.
    3rdtymsthecharm

Answer by 3rdtymsthecharm at 9:47 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I have a hungry baby too, everyone was worried I was feeding her too much. She is fine, a tall baby (and a heavy baby, lol) but she is in perfect proportions. She is 9 months old, wearing 24 month clothes, mostly because she is tall. From what I know of babies, they will eat when they are hungry, and stop when they are full. They are good about "self regulating" their intake. She is only two months old, so you have regular pedi visits - ask them the next time you go in. They would probably tell you if there was a problem with her weight though. My little one went through stages like that, I thought "she can't still be hungry", but amazingly enough, she was. I just checked everything else first (checked diaper, burped her, is she cold/ hot) and if all else was ok, feed her! Lol
    Kiiimmm

Answer by Kiiimmm at 10:18 PM on May. 20, 2009

• my twin boys r 2 and half months. and there on baby food and baby rice but i mix it in to there bottles. BUT there only get that 2 times a day. all other bottles r formalr(sorry cant spell) i call it dinner bottle and lunch bottle. they get 4 oz of it and 4 oz formal at bed time and at lunch time. then 4 to 6 oz bottle out throw the day. it seems to work for us. there dr told me what ever im doing at home keep it up. she didnt even want to know what i was doing. all she said was they look good and happy. so i would say try mix baby rice in to 2 of her bottles a day to see how she dids. and it "will" help if u give one of those bottle to her a bed time. u get more sleep if she not already sleeping there the night. my boys sleep 4 to 6 now. lot better than the 2 hours sleep at night.
    angeltwinpain

Answer by angeltwinpain at 10:27 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I'd go ahead and start her on cereal. It's not going to hurt her. Just make sure the first couple of times she eats it it's pretty runny and only a tablespoon or two a day. Other wise she might get constipated. If that happens try mixing it with apple prune juice. Remember, you CAN'T feed a baby too much! They know when they're full and will stop eating. Good Luck!
    HaydensMommy708

Answer by HaydensMommy708 at 10:38 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Don't give her cereal... it's empty calories, just a filler... her body needs her formula to help her grow. You should, never put cereal in a bottle unless it's for reflux and she is too young to spoon feed.
    Between the 2nd and 3 month there is a growth spurt so just let her eat when she is hungry.

AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:29 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Cereal started too early CAN be a problem. Don't do it unless the doc says OK.

Could be that her tummy has been stretched out a bit too much. You moight try smaller servings given more frequently rather than huge bottles.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:21 AM on May. 21, 2009