Jar babyfood VS Homeade babyfood.

I guess this battle is turning into the next " Breast VS Bottle" Arguement.

I was just wondering, how many of you choose the convenience of Jarred babyfood, against the hassle of homeade babyfood? I know a lot of people who refuse to give their babies the jarred because of the preservatives in it, but we eat them all the time in foods, and were still alive! You can even buy babyfood organic now. I'm one of those people who isn't going to take the time to mix up a batch of veggies for my son, if I have no idea how they'll turn out, or if he'll even like them. So what about you guys? Who makes their own babyfood, and who uses jars?

lynnseyfaye

Asked by lynnseyfaye at 9:43 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I actually use/d both. I make my own veggies and buy a lot of the fruits. I usually get them on sale though. Otherwise I make my own. It saves a ton of money. I have more time then money so it works out for me. I like the convenience of the jar foods for when we aren't at home where I can defrost and reheat.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:46 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I make my own. It's cheaper. I don't really find it to be a hassle, either. Just tonight, I threw a sweet potatoe in the oven, mushed it, and gave it to my eight month old. It took a few more minutes than opening a jar. Plus, jarred food is bland. I also make most of our food, so we don't eat a ton of preservatives. It tastes better. It's a choice I make. I don't care what you do.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:47 PM on May. 20, 2009

• What hassle?

We have steamed veggies with every meal, and I have a little 1cup food processor.  Put some veggies in there...frappe the hell outta it...and there ya go! 

We also have a couple of these...DD loved it! 

So, unless your family doesn't eat any vegetables...

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 10:03 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Im going to make homemade...I don't see how it's a huge hassle to steam a carrot and squish it up.
    I mean do you eat out of a can every day?
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 10:16 PM on May. 20, 2009

• It's not a hassle at all. It's easier.  You don't have a mad baby when you're eating food & they are eating mush.  When you feed the rest of your family a good meal, you take a little bit of this & a little bit of that, put it in a little food processor & voila! I bought organic jars because they were on sale & my 7 month old won't touch them. She tore up the spaghetti her daddy made for dinner though.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 10:47 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Yes, in fact I have to eat out of a can everyday .My Husband works midnight shifts, and doesn't let me cook a huge meal for just myself, and by the time he wakes up, he doesn't have time to eat a meal, and can't take it into work because they have a policy about it, No foods that aren't prepackaged from a store. So no, I don't buy frozen veggies and fruits, and make a meal. We live off of frozen pizza, hamburger helper, spaghetti, burritos, lasagna's, and other quick fixes. I've never seen anything wrong with using Jarred babyfoods, my baby LOVES his different foods, and it's not like I could come up with his favorites to make homeade, like Mac n cheese with veggies, or chicken noodle, or even Pear Blueberry. Seems like a lot of work, when the jars contain the same ingredients.
    lynnseyfaye

Answer by lynnseyfaye at 10:48 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I did both. I made most but not all (peas were a pain to make because of the skins) ... but not because of the reasons you suggest. Because it's easy and way cheaper... and how doesn't want to save money? You can make a ton in as little as 30 minutes, less than $5 and have enough on stock for a month or two... you can't say the same for jarred foods.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:17 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I started with stage 1 jarred food, and DD loved it. When she was ready to move to stage 2, I didn't really see a difference. So I bought a few stage 3's, a little thicker, but basically the same. So when I felt that she mastered the mush, I just started to give her soft table foods, and then regular table foods. No need for baby food anymore, she just gets a little of what we have (veggies and breads only for now).
    Kiiimmm

Answer by Kiiimmm at 12:30 AM on May. 21, 2009