How do you relieve the itchiness from an episiotomy?

I had my son on Monday and my stiches are really itchy and umcomfortable at times. I have been taking a sitz bath, using a numbing spray and ice packs.

JSRM76

Asked by JSRM76 at 4:54 PM on Aug. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I dont know what else you can do. The sitz bath helped alot for me (I could have lived on that thing!) and the ice packs felt good. Hope you feel better soon!!
    summerbudbud

Answer by summerbudbud at 4:59 PM on Aug. 9, 2008

• ya i agree i don't know think there's anything else you can do. try making sure its kept moist because if its not they will start to pull and that is really painful.
    sep_10_07

Answer by sep_10_07 at 5:04 PM on Aug. 9, 2008

• Thanks, I think I am just expecting to feel normal right now and I have to realize that I had minor surgery.

Thanks again
    JSRM76

Answer by JSRM76 at 5:07 PM on Aug. 9, 2008

• Hydrocortisone Cream?
    That's what they gave me.
    kookiekayla

Answer by kookiekayla at 5:14 PM on Aug. 9, 2008

• Witch Hazel wipes work wonders. You can find them at CVS or Riteaid something like that. Good luck. Heal quickly.
    maddysmomma

Answer by maddysmomma at 5:29 PM on Aug. 9, 2008

• I agree with maddysmomma. Witch hazel wipes or preperation wipes. You can use them to gently blot/relieve the itch.
    emilysmom401

Answer by emilysmom401 at 6:46 PM on Aug. 9, 2008

• I agree w/ the two previous posters. Everytime I went to the bathroom I did the peri-care treatment that the nurse showed me in the hospital...peri-bottle, pad lined w/ witch hazel pads & Dermaplast Spray. So relieving!
    gaamom

Answer by gaamom at 9:22 PM on Aug. 9, 2008

• If you chill the witch hazel pads, their even better!
    handsomebabyj

Answer by handsomebabyj at 9:33 PM on Aug. 9, 2008

• also lightly pat with your toilet paper. yes it's minor surgery, but still irritating. definitly get the witch hazel pads, also a little squirt bottle (like a douche bottle) with WARM water helped me. everytime you go to the bathroom squirt your incision when you are done, getting the urine and dried blood off will relieve some of your itch.
    Tiffany101882

Answer by Tiffany101882 at 4:01 AM on Aug. 10, 2008

• Dermaplast Spray and witch hazel pads given by the hospital were wonderful. It took about two weeks to really start to not notice it so much. Itching is healing so I know it's unpleasant but it's healing! Which is good =) But I hope one of these answers helps you.. Congrats by the way. You DID IT.
    micahsmommy08

Answer by micahsmommy08 at 9:14 PM on Aug. 11, 2008