How do you get a 2 year old to STOP sucking her thumb???

lovelycece

Asked by lovelycece at 11:24 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• put Tabasco sauce on it

Anonymous

• You don't.
    Yes, you can get stuff to paint on his fingernails. Yes, you can get a device that clamps around his hand so he can't get to his thumb. Yes, you can even coat his thumb with tabasco.
    BUT
    None of those will work. Most kids quickly learn to just suck the nasty taste off or undo the special device. Some kids even like tabasco.

Just wait it out. Peer pressure and self-esteem will take care of this as he gets older. He won't be going off to college with his thumb in his mouth.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:29 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Tell him it will ruin his teeth by pushing them forward. And it's true I have a friend that happened to. I would put him in time out for doing it. Ground him from the favorite toys, he'll get the picture.
    Tickledtrauma

Answer by Tickledtrauma at 11:31 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Maybe try telling her that it's "yucky" or something lol. Sorry, don't have much of an answer I guess. I had to take Anna off the binky and will probably have to do the same with Aiden. Same with my younger brothers. I hope something can work for her soon!
    stellastef

Answer by stellastef at 1:36 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I wouldn't. Its comforting to your LO so why take it away. Its like a blanket or teddy. As long as her dentist says her teeth are o.k then i would just let her enjoy it while its o.k to.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 3:19 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Her teeth are messed up and she has a major over bite. This is my problem already. She is going to keep messing up her teeth if I let her.
    lovelycece

Answer by lovelycece at 10:57 AM on May. 21, 2009

• i really have no advice, since i haven't had a thumb sucker, but i woudl try to deal with it as soon as possible, which i assume you are, since your asking for advice. i don't believe the response that a child will stop on their own... there was actually a girl in my junior high, who still sucked her thumb.. she got made fun of constantly, and had the worst teeth ever. it is a tricky situation because in her mind, this has always been okay... to ground her will make her wonder what is going on. the best thing i can think of, is to at least try something that tastes horrible... maybe she will get discouraged, and give up, but if she is persistant, maybe you can find something here:

http://children.webmd.com/tc/thumb-sucking-topic-overview

good luck!
    cheekie1

Answer by cheekie1 at 11:08 AM on May. 21, 2009

• My mom tried everything in the book for me hot sauce, popin with a brush, pepper, and so much more, needless to say I'm 23 and still suck my thumb lol just not as much usually just to go to sleep. Luckily my gurls don't its such a bad habit
    Cheree1985

Answer by Cheree1985 at 11:48 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Dunno. My son sucks his and I don't care. I don't make him stop (usually there are some exceptions) comforting actions.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:43 PM on May. 21, 2009