How to word invite to let people know to pay for their own meal

I am having a little b-day celebration for my daughter's first b-day at a local buffet-style restaurant. It's not really a "party"-it's just so my SO's family can see the baby, etc. She'll spend her official b-day with SO and me.

Anyway, I want to send out invites. The thing is, I'm expecting that everyone will pay for their own meals. It's the kind of buffet where you pay before you eat. How do I word it so people understand, but without being rude?

I'm not expecting people to bring gifts...they can if they like, but they are not expected.

Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe list the buffet prices on the invite, if that's too subtle, write; please be prepared to pay for your own meal
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on May. 21, 2009

• say buy your own food b'day bash for "daughters name". LOL
    Anonymous

• List prices on the invite, like the PP said. You can also specify the event as being 'Dutch'.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 12:13 AM on May. 21, 2009

• State that "Food will not be provided but will be available."
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 12:24 AM on May. 21, 2009

• You know, the hard part is that it may well be seen as rude anyway, no matter how nicely you word it. If you invite someone to a restaurant, they expect that they will be your guests...as in, you are picking up the tab.

Maybe people in other parts of the country do things differently. I dunno. Be sure to talk to the restaurant to reserve space AND to explain that it will be separate tabs.

Alternately, think about a potluck picnic at a park or a party at home...that keeps your cost down without any possibility of your guests considering you rude.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:06 AM on May. 21, 2009