Do you think "slang" will be allowed in schools and written works soon?

Do you think that people get away with using it so much that it will soon become our new "English" language?

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 11:32 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No
    Anonymous

• Nope.

No more than I think, "Gee golly" "Wicked" "Neat-o" and so on will be the downfall of the English language.

I think lanaguage changes and adapts over time. I think people need to stop being paranoid and just teach their kids proper English.

As a matter of fact, MOST Americans don't even speak "proper" English.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 11:35 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I hope not. Maybe I'm a hopeless romantic but when it comes to written works I like proper English. It just sounds better...and makes more sense...and doesn't have so many damn acronyms.
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 11:35 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I sure hope not!! I have a friend who teaches college and one of her students turned in a paper littered with shorthand , like B4, and u, l8te, etcc and she put a huge F on it and told him when he could learn to spell she would think about passing him. He promptly rewrote it. I use shorthand like that in texting, but only occasionally. If we do not stop this silly nonsense we will have a serious lack of language skills.
    asalynsedai

Answer by asalynsedai at 11:36 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Furthermore, Do you think we should hold people more accountable for using it in public places, like the workplace and schools?
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 11:36 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I hope not. If we let our English go to pot, what is next? What does that say about us? As it is we look like the idiots of the free world.
    Anonymous

--------------------
    Absolutely!

After YEARS of enjoying Sesame Street, and even posting about it in a recent topic. I have decided to stop letting my toddler watch it.

Simply because of the slang I heard on there and the word "FISHES"........FISHES!? WTF?!
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 11:38 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I'm not sure I understand the question... because of course, yes. Language evolves all the time. What was considered slang a hundred years ago is now part of standard English and no one bats an eye at it. But if you mean text-speak, I don't think so. I will leave the country if that happens. My loyalty to this nation ends the second I'm reading a newspaper and it says "u" instead of "you." America and I will have a nasty break-up. LOL
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 11:41 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I sure hope not. I don't let my kids get away with it and neither should the school system.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 11:48 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Yes. I recently purchased the barefoot contessa cookbook. In it she actually uses omg. I was irritated.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:53 PM on May. 20, 2009