with my dog..help???this happen to anyone ???

when my husband and I go to our first duty station, either way if its over seas or not i have a dog i love so dearly have had for 5 years and she is my baby. when we fly, is it possible they can pack and bring her also?she is 12 lb. daschaund, will she just need a ton of shots? who knows about this. may sound silly but she is my baby

NewLady1

Asked by NewLady1 at 11:35 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Pets

• Yes, Pets can fly. =), you'll need to take her to a vet and ask them to be sure, but I'm sure she'll need a check up to make sure she's healthy, and you'll need to keep your papers handy for the airport where you will be landing at.
    lynnseyfaye

Answer by lynnseyfaye at 11:37 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I think when you take a pet to a foreign country, they may have to be in quarantine for awhile after you get there. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:42 PM on May. 20, 2009

• yeah pets can fly but be cautious about it, i dont know how they handle animals on most flights but the last two I had was horrible. I have two corgis and were completely perfect when We loaded them up then when we landed and got them back one of them had a broken leg and the other had a broken tail and fractured paw. and I have very mellow dogs and rarely freak out at anything so I doubt they went bonkers and did it to themselves. then the last flight I took my cat and she didnt make it alive :(
    Kayge

Answer by Kayge at 12:04 AM on May. 21, 2009

• My mom took a siamese cat back & forth from Virginia to Germany in the mid/late 70's/early 80's when my dad was stationed there. They did two tours, both four years in length & that cat went. I'm sure it won't be an issue.
    prettylilrae

Answer by prettylilrae at 1:16 AM on May. 21, 2009

• We brought our two boxers out here to Hawaii with us when we got orders with no problems. We had to do a lot of work to follow Hawaiian laws, but just do some research on the import laws to wherever you are stationed. We will be returning to the mainland in a few months and will be bringing them with us again..They're part of the family.
    BethTTC

Answer by BethTTC at 4:21 AM on May. 21, 2009

• sure my two dogs went to Germany with us and 6 years later back.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:28 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Yep she can come along! I know when my neighbors took their cat to Iwakuni, Japan they had to have someone keep the pet for like 6 weeks while it was in quarenteen. You should start looking into all of this soon and figure out what all needs to be done.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Yup the dog can go and will need the normal shots. Depending o where you go of course.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 10:44 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Pets can TOTALLY fly! My baby Gracie was flown to me when I got her. It cost $250. I'm not sure how much it would cost to fly a dog overseas, just call an airline, they'll let you know! You CAN keep your baby!
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:05 PM on May. 21, 2009

• I know nothing about this, but want to tell you, that's NOT SILLY! You're a good person!!
    MomEveryDay

Answer by MomEveryDay at 7:38 PM on May. 21, 2009