dicspline help...or help with redirecting my dd to something else

so my 1 year old is in to everything(i know every kid does this). my dd gets into stuff she knows shes not allowed to have and then runs away when i try to take it..it makes me so mad sometimes. i know that all kids get into everything and they are just learning about the world. but anybody have any ideas on how to redirect her to do something she can get into without me loseing my temper and yelling.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If she's under 14 months, keep trying to redirect.
    If she's 14 months of over, start time outs. You catch her, you say "Scissors are NOT a toy", you plop her in an empty play pen, and you turn your back to her. If she throws a fit, leave her until she is calm. If she doesn't throw a fit, let her out after 30 seconds to a minute. Trust me - that 30 seconds will seem so long to you both.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:47 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Give her a bunch of things she CAN have. Access to a tupperware drawer is always fun! The key is to keep her interested in things she CAN have rather that can't. She may just be trying to get your attention (especially the running away part). I think putting her in time out situations may just make the behavior worse, as you are purposely "ignoring" her then. Try to put baby gates up in the kitchen with you so you confine her to just where she can get pots and pans and tupperware. Then, keep fun things out in a toybox or even a laundry basket that she can pull out and put back. A firm, NO! never hurts though. Also, if it isn't a dangerous or breakable item, try NOT chasing her. Maybe that will take the "fun" out of it. Oh, and the ol' highchair and crayons is always good for a brief time too! I would hold off on time outs for the age 2.... JMHO.
    4theLoveofLovey

Answer by 4theLoveofLovey at 12:03 AM on May. 21, 2009