Easing the Transition to a Different School

My dd is 12 - she's always gone to the school in the small town we live in (since pre-k and she's about to wrap up 6th grade tomorrow) - I and my parents and my paternal grandparents even went to school here... so it's comfortable. Our town has less than 1000 people - so when I say small, I'm for real.

Now - on to the question...

DD had emergency surgery - the school has really shafted her and not been willing to provide an adequate level of education while she missed the last 2 months of this year "homebounded" on doctor's orders.

We will not be putting her back in this school next year - so the options are Homeschool (which we're not opposed to and would join a Co-Op in a metro area for socialization) or transfer to the next town and larger school.

Any suggestions on helping her prepare for the change? She's pretty scared and just frustrated - she didn't ask for this mess on top of being so sick...

Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on May. 21, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• NOTE - I put this under Anon because some of my family members are on CafeMom and I don't want to discuss this with them or the other moms in our town till our decision is made - lol - I'm not hiding, I promise!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I went to a co op when i was16-18 ...i was also from a VERY small town and i tried the bigger school in another town and it was all way to much for me to handle...
    mom2girliegirls

Answer by mom2girliegirls at 3:10 AM on May. 21, 2009

• We home schooled our niece the last 2 years of high school. There were a lot of issues at school that I won't go into here. It was exactly what WE needed at that time. We were involved in a church in which many of the families home schooled and we got great info and support. We have a wonderful Co-op in our community that has many extra curricular activities, field trips, school pictures, as well as Proms & Graduations. Nothing to miss out on here! There are so many good curriculum that are easy to use. There are also many home school groups here on CafeMom including ones for Jr High/Middle School age. This is a pivotal time in any young lady's life, socially and involving self-esteem issues, even if she hadn't gotten sick & been gone for 2 months. PS-If family and friends aren't supportive, don't be shocked. They don't have to raise your child, and later will see the benefits that are unimaginable! Good luck!

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:32 AM on May. 23, 2009