How can I make him stop?

I've been having a 10 month old for over a month now. His mom asked me to watch him for 3-4 days. Well, this baby crys all the time. I put him down to play he criess! If he is quiet the moment I get up to go do something he starts crying again. He cries at least 70%of his awake time.. the other 30% is because I'm hold him or he's eating... other than that he's crying. It's gotten to the point that I have to walk out the house before I scream... It make is harder that I have a 4 year old thats used of getting all the attention to herself so shes acting up too. Anyone have any suggestions.... He's well fed...always clean...has plenty of play things... gets plenty of attention.... Just why does this child cry so much???!!!????!!!??!!?!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on May. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ah, I didn't read your second comment... if he's being shifted between caretakers, it is going to make him even more clingy... probably because the poor thing does not know stability. Babies need stability and rountine... or at least some predictability in their lives. Not much you can do, but soothe him, and offer reassurance. When he is older, he'll be able to handle this better, I hope. But it is probably not doing him any good when it comes to his emotional development.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 12:19 AM on May. 21, 2009

• He probably misses his mommy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Ignore him. It's going to suck, maybe for days till he gets it but continuing to console him will not help. He'll get over it. Don't give in or it will never stop. You said he's not hurt, not hungry, wet or all the other possibilities. He's just spoiled but you don't have to spoil him.

Mommy2Bears

Answer by Mommy2Bears at 12:12 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Has his mom had any issues? First thing I thought of was colic.
    shaklee_momma

Answer by shaklee_momma at 12:12 AM on May. 21, 2009

• He's never with his mommy.....He's either with me or someone else I don't think she's ever had him for more than a week.... He's with me waaayyy more than her!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Separation anxiety maybe? Most babies go through a separation anxiety phase between 8-11 months old. I remember when my son was going through this at 9 months old, I could not set him down for the life of me. If I walked away, he went ballastic, acting as if I had abandoned him... and I'm SAHM. With time and reassurance, the phase passed. Now he doesn't want much to do with me! It is probably not helping the poor lil guy to have his mom drop him off at your house so much. I think the question I should ask, has he always been like this? From birth to now? If so, ask the mom how she soothes him and what works for her?
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 12:16 AM on May. 21, 2009