• In the Spotlight:

How to get daughter to stop using "gotta go pee" as a way out?

I guess I will explain better... My daughter Aimee says she always has to go potty. When she is in trouble, in the car,ect..... I understand that she is still learning but give me a break. Please tell me that this is just a phase and this too shall pass.. She is having a hard time grasping that she needs to learn to hold it alittle.. She will go sit on the pot and barely anything will come out, especially when she is in trouble or wanting to get out of a situation that she doesn't like being in.. Trouble for example.. She thinks that if she says she has to potty she won't get in trouble anymore. I don't give slack when she does it and would figure that she wouldn't do it anymore but I was wrong. We can be going down the road and even though she just went she has to go again. This is also after saying she wants to get out of her seat. I don't know what to do so I am needing some advice from other mom.. Thanx 4 listening

Aimeesmommie

Asked by Aimeesmommie at 12:13 AM on May. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• thank you in advance for any advice good or bad that all will give.. I ran out of space in my question so I had to put it in an answer.. Again thanx
    Aimeesmommie

Answer by Aimeesmommie at 12:14 AM on May. 21, 2009

• My little girl is 4 and does the same thing when its time to eat!!! getting her to eat is a nightmare!!! So, I now make her potty before she sits down to eat 9 out of 10 she doesnt have to therefore she cant go while eating just to get out or delay it!
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 12:19 AM on May. 21, 2009

• well, i guess the only way to really make her understand to hold it, is to see how long she can go. When she's in trouble.. tell her no, she can't go potty. If you think this is crazy, well, she's four, and the three to five year olds I work with manage to hold it for at least 15-30 min when they have to. I'd imagine that the punishment couldn't last much longer than that... so there should be no need to allow her to go.
    If she wets her pants, well, then she really did need to go, oops... maybe next time she'll learn not to cry wolf...
    xxPaulaxx

Answer by xxPaulaxx at 4:53 AM on May. 21, 2009

• My sons do that to. Clean your room-I gotta pee. Stand in the corner-I gotta pee. My response is always "fine, go pee, then _____" They realize they won't get out of whatever it is, but they still do it. I don't let it bother me. As for in the car, just say, "sorry, I don't see anywhere we can stop. You'll just have to hold it until we get home/to the store/to school/wherever." She'll learn to hold it. And if she doesn't hold it, she'll eventually learn you mean it. And if still doesn't hold it after that, you can always have a dr check her out to make sure there's no medical reason.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:24 AM on May. 21, 2009

• tell her she may have a bladder infection thats making her have to go all of the time - then follow through with a visit to the doctor. This may be true.
    toastmama

Answer by toastmama at 11:27 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Start taking her to the bathroom when YOU want her to go. Tell her to pee even if she doesn't have to. Tell her everyone goes at the same time. We train our bladders and this is how. You can limit how often she goes. She is using it as a control mechanism. After all how can she get in trouble for having to go pee right? Well, time to stop giving in. If you know she just went, she can wait.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:50 AM on May. 21, 2009

• The ole "But, I gotta pee" My older kids still do this. EVERY night, the family sits down to dinner & my 8 yo son makes the announcement that he has to poop! 2 minutes later my 5 yo daughter lets us all know that she has to pee. She has to pee a lot more when we're eating something she doesn't like. Do make sure that her bladder is not aggravating her though. Does she constantly have a drink? Fluid in = fluid out. I am a constant pee-er & actually, so is my daughter. I got her used to cranberry juice at an early age & we drink a lot of water. We don't drink soda, but I drink a lot of tea. On days when my tea consumption is up & my water is down, I have to pee constantly. Like every half hour. It may be what she is drinking.  Or, she's just a little stinker.  :)   Kids.....

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 12:24 PM on May. 21, 2009

• carlye, you made me laugh b/c my grandma tells stories about how my dad, every day at dinner time, would eat 2 bites and then need to poop. She says it never failed, no matter what time they ate! lol
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:36 PM on May. 21, 2009