Swollen painful gums????

The last few days my gums have started to swell, & they have been bleeding when I brush my teeth! I've also noticed 3 teeth that have started to hurt around where my gums are the most swollen. I know you gain extra blood volume while pregnant, so I'm wondering if this is pregnancy related or if all of a sudden there is just something wrong with my teeth? Does anybody know?? BTW I'm 16weeks if that makes a difference...

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 1:07 AM on May. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had this same problem! It's very common to get gingivitis while pregnant, Starting in the 4th month..I still have some signs of it-i.e. bleeding gums(I am only 6 weeks post partum). I actually got a route canal in my 2nd trimester :( It is recommended that you get one, if not 2 cleanings during your pregnancy because untreated gingivitis can lead to periodontis(way more serious) and had been linked toa variety of pregnancy complications!! Scary!! Hope this helps!!!
    MadisonsMom0408

Answer by MadisonsMom0408 at 3:05 AM on May. 21, 2009

• rinse your mouth with warm salt water about 3 - 6 times a day. That should help

Answer by admckenzie at 1:30 AM on May. 21, 2009